2020 Projects

monkie

Would be cool to see it out off-road, definitely!

You could always extend the wheelbase, I never like those camper conversions where people hang an extra load of bodywork out past the back bumper, even the Pulse ambulances look rather over-laden and cumbersome to me with all their overhangs.

Then again, the LWB Volvo C304's are the absolute daddies for campers;

c306.jpg.280cfb7d2400c0e00673f6bbc3f83822.jpg

To be honest although it's not original at the moment my thoughts are to keep it "original" (a bit like your 109 :SVAgoaway:) but a practical vehicle first and foremost. Which is why I'm not going to be hunting for a 3.5V8 to put back into it, I'm going to see how the LD28T feels first since that engine's free. If I'm not happy with it I'm sorely tempted to shove a TDV8 in there although I do like mechanical simplicity to a certain extent. Incidentally if you come across SandySix on lrukforums and stage1v8 that's the previous owner's username and you can see he had the same idea.

Consequently I don't think I'll be extending the chassis or doing anything like that - it's just about the right size I think for what I want. When I get around to building a camper there's enough space to lie down in the bed comfortably as is. Might do extendable roof and then you can have the bed go out above the roof. There's actually a massive chunk of space underneath the bed as it is so potential to drop down there. I will probably knock up some storage boxes to sit in front and behind the rear wheels so thinks like ratchet straps etc., can live in there.

Dad had a neat suggestion in seeing whether some new sides could be fabricated (everything's detachable at the moment) that double up as ramps so the Argo can be driven up onto the back. It might struggle for traction on the angle but can always put an eye behind the cab which it can winch itself up.