White smoke - 300TDi

Similar sender to my VDO one & oil pressure gauge, got my gauge from USA at this site www.defender.com, as I wanted a psi reading gauge, I can do some photo's in morning at start up showing the pressure at idle at start up & idle. 

4 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Thanks Ralph. My concern is/was the final pressure drop once the oil gets up to final temperature. It’s then <2Bar (28) when driving and at idle the value is <1.5Bar (21).

Just did these 2 photos first start today, engine at idle, throttle not touched

IMG_20200722_114117.jpg

IMG_20200722_114122.jpg

Thanks for your input guys. I don't have a problem at start-up as pressure is right up nearly at 4 Bar. The relief valve might even be operating (3.9 Bar / 55psi) but if it is, I doubt that it would still be leaking pressure away as the temperature increases and the oil thins.

I really need to do a decent drive as these 30minute pootles around aren't much use. Coming home just now after about 14 miles and lots of hills we were again below 2 Bar and idling at just over 1 Bar.

I don't generally worry about idle pressure unless my oil light comes on (god forbid) - but I use the numbers Ralph posted in the topic attached as "expectation" range of operation. (25-54)psi - lowest I've seen on my engine is 30psi when I've been in 5th gear with 96-99deg C oil but low ish revs - obviously not getting full output from the oil pump, in which case I drop a gear and it bumps it back up to 33-36psi. (15w40 Oil - btw).

Another topic on oil pressure which might be of use. - mainly regarding 200's but still relevant.

• Like 1