P38 Axle Q's (Specifically diffs)

Divster

According to EPC front diff was only a 2 pin. there is a listing for both a 2 and 4 pin rear but it doesnt specify which was fitted to what.

ARB list the RD56 locker as fitting a 1993-98 rangie which is the same part no as for 24 spline for other landrover axles so I'd say yes, they're interchangeable.

Jon

I have some dim recollection that maybe it was only the 4.6's that came with 4 pin rears but I may well be wrong.

Yes only the 4.6 had the 4 pin rear

The RD56 locker fits the new sort of 110s with the Rover 4 pin diff, just needs some sort of adaptor ring IIRC. We fitted one for somebody a few months ago, in the back of a newish 110. Not sure about the bolt pattern on the diff housing though? It certainly wouldn't be a straight swap for a 2 pin diff as I'm sure the nose of the diff is shorter so you'd need a different prop.

Generally, power output, location, and Traction Control govern the fitment of 4 pin diffs.

Thus Diesels and early 4.0s had two pin diffs at the front and rear, as they had low power and no TC.

Post '99 axles from all models had 4 pin diffs at both ends, as all had 4 Wheel TC.

Study of a parts catalogue will get you the precise details, but if you are buying a diff second hand you can see the pinions. If you are buying it in an axle you only have the word of the vendor which model it came from anyway. Axles are numbered, but I don't recall any listing saying which number range had which diff as new.

The good news is that a 4 pin diff (from Ashcrofts) is a straightforward replacement for a 2 pin diff.

Thus my '95 DT had a 2 pin rear diff as standard, but now has an Ashcroft 4 pin installed. There is no '4 pin' marking on the diff housing.

No, the diff cannot be placed into an RRC axle.

There is 'one' Defender model that uses the 38A diff as the Defender is intended for heavy duty use. At least one accessory manufacturer calls it a 38A axle, which it clearly isn't. It is only the diff casing that is 38A, not the axle.

HTH.

Generally, power output, location, and Traction Control govern the fitment of 4 pin diffs.

Thus Diesels and early 4.0s had two pin diffs at the front and rear, as they had low power and no TC.

Post '99 axles from all models had 4 pin diffs at both ends, as all had 4 Wheel TC.

Study of a parts catalogue will get you the precise details, but if you are buying a diff second hand you can see the pinions. If you are buying it in an axle you only have the word of the vendor which model it came from anyway. Axles are numbered, but I don't recall any listing saying which number range had which diff as new.

The good news is that a 4 pin diff (from Ashcrofts) is a straightforward replacement for a 2 pin diff.

Thus my '95 DT had a 2 pin rear diff as standard, but now has an Ashcroft 4 pin installed. There is no '4 pin' marking on the diff housing.

No, the diff cannot be placed into an RRC axle.

There is 'one' Defender model that uses the 38A diff as the Defender is intended for heavy duty use. At least one accessory manufacturer calls it a 38A axle, which it clearly isn't. It is only the diff casing that is 38A, not the axle.

HTH.

Dave, looking at the axle a P38 diff could be fitted into an old style Rover axle BUT it would be a fair amount of work. I've looked at doing the opposite with a 'P38 spec' 110 rear axle I picked up cheaply as it seems a lot beefier than the standard rear tube.

IIRC Wolf vehicles also had P38 spec axles (ie same as the rear on the newer 110/30s) at both ends.

IIRC Wolf vehicles also had P38 spec axles (ie same as the rear on the newer 110/30s) at both ends.

None of the (admittedly very few) Wolf Defenders that i have worked on had P38 diffs at the front. AFAIK Wolfs take standard defender front props indicating that they use a standard rover diff in the front, as, if it were a P38 diff it would need a longer prop due to the P38 diffs reduced length

Dave, looking at the axle a P38 diff could be fitted into an old style Rover axle BUT it would be a fair amount of work. I've looked at doing the opposite with a 'P38 spec' 110 rear axle I picked up cheaply as it seems a lot beefier than the standard rear tube.

I had my eye on a couple of P38 axles going at the right price. I want the reliabilty of a 4 pin diff but don't want to go for a locker. (The vehicle will be competing in a class which rules out lockers).My thoughts were to simply take out the diffs and swap into the current axles. Unfortunately avaliable fabrication time (and skills) are minimal so I was looking for a straight forward bolt in option. Having said that I was prepared to have to tackle prop modification.

I had my eye on a couple of P38 axles going at the right price. I want the reliabilty of a 4 pin diff but don't want to go for a locker. (The vehicle will be competing in a class which rules out lockers).My thoughts were to simply take out the diffs and swap into the current axles. Unfortunately avaliable fabrication time (and skills) are minimal so I was looking for a straight forward bolt in option. Having said that I was prepared to have to tackle prop modification.

Divster, I'm not sure but you may be able to fit the diff centre into a RRC housing with a spacer. That might be the best option...

Lewis, I stand corrected. Do you know about the rear?

Lewis, I stand corrected. Do you know about the rear?

Know what about the rear? If you mean which diffs were fitted then pre/early-production ones that i worked on had salisbury diffs with strengthened casings in the rear, dunno about the later production ones although i do have a vague recollection about spherical diff pans like the env axles on S2bs and volvo C303's - not saying its an ENV diff - just saying the pan was similar

Yes only the 4.6 had the 4 pin rear

The RD56 locker fits the new sort of 110s with the Rover 4 pin diff, just needs some sort of adaptor ring IIRC. We fitted one for somebody a few months ago, in the back of a newish 110. Not sure about the bolt pattern on the diff housing though? It certainly wouldn't be a straight swap for a 2 pin diff as I'm sure the nose of the diff is shorter so you'd need a different prop.

if you use the RD57, you don't need the spacer ring,

Know what about the rear? If you mean which diffs were fitted then pre/early-production ones that i worked on had salisbury diffs with strengthened casings in the rear, dunno about the later production ones although i do have a vague recollection about spherical diff pans like the env axles on S2bs and volvo C303's - not saying its an ENV diff - just saying the pan was similar

Lewis, yep, rear axle. The later wolf type sound very like the diff casing I've got which is the late 110/130 type - the diff pan is much thicker and more rounded.

If all you want is a 4 pin diff in a std axle why not just get a four pin diff centre for your existing diff? Ashcrofts can supply the diff centres or complete built up diffs I think. Talk to Mr Ashtrans just up there ^^^^ :)

If all you want is a 4 pin diff in a std axle why not just get a four pin diff centre for your existing diff? Ashcrofts can supply the diff centres or complete built up diffs I think. Talk to Mr Ashtrans just up there ^^^^ :)

Yup, I had thought about that but I'd estimated around £450 per diff which was a bit more than I have budgeted in my build. The P38 axles I had spotted were significantly less £££'s and so prompted the questions.

Yup, I had thought about that but I'd estimated around £450 per diff which was a bit more than I have budgeted in my build. The P38 axles I had spotted were significantly less £££'s and so prompted the questions.

My other thought is possibly front & rear shaved salisburys ala Mr Marshallsay. Anybody know of a front Salisbury or disk braked rear currently for sale????

I thought they were less than that - maybe it was just the diff centre - but I see they haven't got any in stock anyway according to the website. I had a figure of £240 in my mind for the diff centre by itself.

Very interesting topic.

:angry: Just got to end of my comment and it all dissapeared,

and the undo won't work.

Try again.

Looked at the Ashcroft site.

The P38 diff looks to have the same bolt pattern as the RR stock diff.

The P38 4 pin diff centre looked the same as the Ashcroft 4 pin diff centre?

Would like to have Ashcrofts comment on that plus what the price is to replace a stock 2 pin RR diff with an Ashcroft 4 pin diff?

Marc