New Socket Set

kevin50

Gonna treat myself to a decent Socket Set, Ive had this one for a few years nowhttps://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-200-pc-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set-limited-edition cant fault it but have lost a few bits from it. they are out of stock now so was Looking at this one for £260 with trade card, https://www.halfords.com/workshop-t...dvanced-200-pc-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set anyone got one of these . Not sure if I would need some of the bits in it. infact don't know what some of them are for:), mostly working on 300 Tdi engines ,
There is a few to choose from here. https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets

19 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Depending on how many bits are lost, I tend to just buy single replacement items as I go, though I somehow don't lose much. 

Quite a few to be honest, think its time for new set to look after properly.

My father has a Kamasa 3/8 inch set that must be around 15-20 years old and has built several cars. I wouldn’t rate them now. I’ve got a 200 piece Halfords professional set as my go to socket set supported by a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch bahco and smaller 1/2 inch Teng plus a few other bits. 

Hell those are expensive now, I ordered a 200pc limited edition Halfords one in the Black Friday deals and it was £135! They usually have special offers, I guess just not at the moment, so would delay until the next offer if you can...

I've got 3 old Draper socket sets  in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive and have had for about 15 years, not even broken anything, the only problem is that the carry boxes fall to bits (hinges and closing latches break) - hence the Halfords set I've ordered to have a mobile set.

15 hours ago, mmgemini said:

As a retired mechanic I don't recomend buying sockets sets. I think you'll find not everything in a socket set is needed. Buy as needed and make your own useful set

I'm with mmgemini on this as I  buy individual snap on sockets and keep them on a clip rail however I am finding that more often than not some car manufacturers are changing bolt head sizes just to be awkward in my opinion therefore  previously redundant sockets in a set are now usable so I guess its individual preference as to what you buy my Doblo has 18 and 16 mm sizes which I  would not have needed years ago having said that I do have a 1/4 drive socket set that is very useful regards Stephen