Just about to fit a new alternator and then...

neilc

I have just driven to Bath from Birmingham,  about 2/3s of the way it started getting dark so I turned on the spots and headlights , when I started to slow down when getting into Bath the alternator starter to screech so I sprayed some oil on it and it stopped ( very technical ) . When I tried to start land rover on way back ... Nothing , not even a click , luckily I had a spare battery so connected it and was on my way . However in the cab on way back I have a device that measures the charge on the battery , as soon as I put the front fogs on the alternator screeched and reading went down from approx 13.2 to 8! , Turned it off and it went back up . There is obviously a massive drain from fogs that is killing battery , Fogs have been on for approx 8 months but thinking about it I probably haven't taken it out in the dark since then . They are aftermarket , however all relayed and fused up . Should I take them out or is there a solution . 

Thanks 

20200104_210759.jpg

There's an earthing fault somewhere, which the fogs are revealing. Check the earthing thoroughly, paying particular attention to the ones between wiring harness and bulkhead and instrument panel. 

How are the fogs earthed? 

Ok , this appears to be two problems , I changed the belt , the old  one looked fine , however screeching has stopped so it wasn't  , I have temporarily disconnect fogs and no further problems , however I now agree that there must be some sort of electrical issue with fogs , 1 thing I have noticed is that although the fogs came on when switching the switch , the illuminated switch didnt light up , I assumed it was the switch , however I tested it and it isn't so I will investigate further , Thanks

Edited by neilc