Milwaulkee M12 3/8" stubby

Hi guys

Just treated myself to a new milwaukee 3/8" stubby battery impact wrench, i do have air tools but they are to powerfull for doing light stuff plus they are a bit easier to use if doing stuff on a bench or engine stand but will still use the air tools for more heavier stuff, should be here in a few days 😁

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Replaced most of my cordless gear over the last couple of years with Milwaukee dammed good gear regards Stephen

Cheer's Stephen, i just wanted something to have on the bench that i can get my hands on quick if needed and something i can have in the landy for when i'm out far away and dressed up just incase i get a puncture or something 😉

7 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

I keep looking at these - but I’m bewildered by the range! And can’t work out what the right one for me is, getting there though I think.

Yeah i was originally looking at the 1/2" one which has the same power and functions but found out if using the wrench and need to step down to 3/8" drive sockets and using even an impact rated reducer it can snap the reducer but going the other way using a 3/8" wrench with an 1/2" adaptor it doesn't cause a problem other than a slight loss of power.

Edited by Cornish Rattler

Well I've got their "dinky" hi torque 1900Nm one and can safely say it's failed to undo quite a few bolts... Yup you read that right, problem is it's not very little :ph34r:! In all seriousness it's not actually failed to undo a bolt or nut I've been able to get it on. That includes some 2" Victorian gate post nuts... Crank bolts eats for breakfast.

Be curious to see how you get one with the 3/8" stubby because the size of the big one is an issue on Land Rovers. E.g. Won't fit onto the rear trailing arms which is annoying.

I have just bought the Makita 3/8 version to go alongside the big Makita one I have. i used it all day yesterday and I have to say it is great.

It obviously does not have the power of its bigger brother but for normal sized stuff it makes life so much easier than using the hand ratchet. It is much much smaller and lighter than the big one

Should be here by weekend so will be able to report back on how it is but tbh i haven't got it for big bolts / nuts as i have a decent powered air wrench for them but the only thing my air wrench struggles with is the 200tdi engine damper bolt which as my torque wrench only goes to 200lbs i have to put plenty of loctite on and the air wrench is just over 1200lbs power but struggles could be the loctite holding it back not sure so for undoing till loose enough to use the air wrench i have to select top gear in 4x4 high hand brake on tight ( disc ) and all wheels chocked and use my 3/4 drive socket set to undo it with using a long tube as well 😎

9 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Should be here by weekend so will be able to report back on how it is but tbh i haven't got it for big bolts / nuts as i have a decent powered air wrench for them but the only thing my air wrench struggles with is the 200tdi engine damper bolt which as my torque wrench only goes to 200lbs i have to put plenty of loctite on and the air wrench is just over 1200lbs power but struggles could be the loctite holding it back not sure so for undoing till loose enough to use the air wrench i have to select top gear in 4x4 high hand brake on tight ( disc ) and all wheels chocked and use my 3/4 drive socket set to undo it with using a long tube as well 😎

Sorry forgot to say its an S2a 200tdi 😉

Forgot to say i gave it a go on one of the 2a's wheel nuts using the 2.0 battery first speed it wouldn't budge it but did on the second speed i then tried it on my engine hoist caster bolts and again on first speed it wouldn't move it but second speed it did so looks like first speed will only do really small and loosly tightend bolts / nuts but i'm doing some work on the landy at weekend so will give it a good test then 😁

5 hours ago, Badger110 said:

I can't see you removing much with a 12v tbh, the torque isn't very high.

They are primarily designed for screwing screws into timbers or aluminium studs.

My 18v will remove the studs on the Landy, but even then it can be a sod with the odd rusty nut ;)

Yeah i will just have to see as its main use will be for light work like body panels, timing cover's and cases then after that i will get my air wrench out 😄

ive got one of these and its probably the best thing i ever got. like 330nm in the palm of your hand! worse part was paying nearly £50 for a protetive boot from USA!

as for power setting, i only use max power and auto shut off which great as a fast/ 0 power nut runner ready to be properly torqued. 

19 hours ago, Landy-Novice said:

ive got one of these and its probably the best thing i ever got. like 330nm in the palm of your hand! worse part was paying nearly £50 for a protetive boot from USA!

as for power setting, i only use max power and auto shut off which great as a fast/ 0 power nut runner ready to be properly torqued. 

Yeah i used mine for the first time and was really impressed with it using the 2.0 amp battery i undid 30 bolts mainly from the 200tdi timing cover and removing the rad and front panel as well as about 8 hose clips and its still on 3 battery lights oh and that was on the secon'd speed as well  😁

Edited by Cornish Rattler

62 x M10/M13 bolts and 13 x hose clips and its just gone to 2 battery lights on the 2.0 amp battery, later in the week i will start putting everything back together so will see if i can get it all back together before the battery goes completly flat if not i've got the 6.0 battery to go at but would be good if i don't but will see 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like it’s doing the job well for you 👍

Have you looked at any of the other 12v range?

Having a autoimmune disease all my life and the nature of my jobs, I’m very wary of how heavy tools impact your body when in use.  I switched to using mainly 12v tools and leaving the 18v unless I really need it

12v grinders for metal work are so easy and light with a decent amount of power to tackle most panel work or bolt cutting without the weight of heavier 18v or 240v versions.

On 1/26/2020 at 11:55 AM, Badger110 said:

Sounds like it’s doing the job well for you 👍

Have you looked at any of the other 12v range?

Having a autoimmune disease all my life and the nature of my jobs, I’m very wary of how heavy tools impact your body when in use.  I switched to using mainly 12v tools and leaving the 18v unless I really need it

12v grinders for metal work are so easy and light with a decent amount of power to tackle most panel work or bolt cutting without the weight of heavier 18v or 240v versions.

Yeah i won't buy anything to heavy as i have a Titan SDS drill and that is heavy but all my air tools and battery tools are a lot lighter so should be ok 😀