Oops I did it again, to my wallet

Soren Frimodt

I'm surprised to read the negativity about the SD1.  Here in grey old New Zealand they were nearly all V8s in a reasonable state of tune and nobody mentioned rust at the time.  Certainly mine was rust free and an absolute pleasure to drive.  What spoiled it was the massive L.P.G. tank behind the seats which killed the versatility.  It did go really well though.  A 4.6 could only be better!  Another great Soren project.

• Like 1

I know they were appallingly built rot boxes...but they're still beautiful cars. Only ever been in one once - a lift with a friends grandfather as a child. My main memory is getting in trouble for messing around with the lethal electric windows. They went up and and down really fast with a lovely satisfying "shakk" sound. Doubt they had anti-crush sensors either :D 

3 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

I know they were appallingly built rot boxes...but they're still beautiful cars. Only ever been in one once - a lift with a friends grandfather as a child. My main memory is getting in trouble for messing around with the lethal electric windows. They went up and and down really fast with a lovely satisfying "shakk" sound. Doubt they had anti-crush sensors either :D 

No they didn’t , my brother nearly cut my head off with one of the rear windows , no joke another second or two and I would have been dead !

How they where new I have no recollection of, as I was born in '85 and not that many was even sold in Denmark. But looking at it now, sure there's a lot of rust, but so was my similar aged Jag and every other similarly aged car here in Denmark..

The electrics sure are weird, a lot of resemblance to old RRC's but certainly the electric windows on the Jag was a lot better 😂 

Changed the engine oil today and had her out running until she got at operating temp. And I must say the cabin heat is awesome, but we already know from LR's that the V8 is amazing at producing heat :D And the ducts feeding air into the doors is actually quite clever.

The engine has been running without oil pressure for an unknown amount of time, so the cam and followers are toast. But other than that it starts up very easily and runs smooth all things considered:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Waaaay to late for this project (ref 7th March post above) but I came across a brilliant tip when rebuilding those old V8s - or even if they've stood for a long time.  Whip out the distributor and make a simple tool that sits in a (preferably) cordless drill and engages into the dizzy drive, which is also the oil pump drive.  Then simply spin it for a little while and it pushes the oil everywhere, with no need for other parts to move at all!  I did that when I put the 3.9 into my Stage One and it worked perfectly.

6 hours ago, Arjan said:

Oh to drive one again.........

Yeah I can't wait to get my first drive in one! :D 

1 hour ago, deep said:

Waaaay to late for this project (ref 7th March post above) but I came across a brilliant tip when rebuilding those old V8s - or even if they've stood for a long time.  Whip out the distributor and make a simple tool that sits in a (preferably) cordless drill and engages into the dizzy drive, which is also the oil pump drive.  Then simply spin it for a little while and it pushes the oil everywhere, with no need for other parts to move at all!  I did that when I put the 3.9 into my Stage One and it worked perfectly.

Thats what I usually do when I swap cams etc so that the engine doesn't run dry for any amount of time. However in this case the pump is so worn I had to disassemble it and fill it with grease for it to be able to suck in oil. It does however make oil pressure quite rapidly, even after a couple of weeks standstill now though :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

I drove a few SD1 V8s as a delivery driver - one tried to kill me on the A1 on a drive from Wolverhampton to Aberdeen, when it dropped its prop, (bolts not tightened/locked correctly).

The West Mids Police had a worse accident record with SD1s than with the Marina TCs that proceeded them. The Marina was feared as a scary, bad handling car in extremis, whereas the SD1 was considered fairly benign, so they pushed it harder. Always liked the look of the classic "jam sandwich".