Paint names and codes

uninformed

Hi all,

at some point im going to have to paint my 110 (currently undergoing major rebuild and modifications) It was a 98 300Tdi cab chassis in white. It will getting a rear tub. I would like to paint it one of the old series colours (probably) Im thinking the gal cappings will remain gal, the roof the white/cream colour and the body the main colour I choose.

Ive done some searching but nothing solid came up. So im looking for LR paint names and codes. As ive never painted a car before, is it a matter of taking said name and code to the auto paint shop and they mix it?

cheers

Serg

Dingocroft helpfully list them:

https://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/paint99.htm

The paint supplier I use recognises the 3 letter codes - eg HCC - but being armed with more info can't help.

Everything is mixed to order.  Some vehicle paints are quite nasty to handle .  If you've got bare alloy then you should etch prime.  It starts to get complicated after that.

If you want something simple good old synthetic paint may be what you're looking for - its used on lorry bodies where its necessary to maintain a wet edge for a long time due to the size.  Problem is it tends to go milky after a while - look at older lorries.  Dead easy to use - brushes or rolls like household gloss and is soluble in white spirit.  Paddocks sell HMG synthetic - HMG is one of the large vehicle paint suppliers (and do things like 2 pack as well)

https://www.paddockspares.com/parts-and-accessories/land-rover-series-2-and-3/paint/1-litre-tins.html

• Like 1

Thanks @secondjeremy

Im wondering for a bit of paint history if its about? 

What colours were available on SI

What colours available for SII and then SIII

Did SI have the limestone roofs with other body colour or were they completely one colour? If so, when did they go two tone, and or what vehicles spec had it?

cheers

Serg

Thanks @western

Some good info when clicking on the individual paint colours. Its hard to pick though lol, colour representation in small areas and on computers is always a bit false.

Also the only good examples on the internet are fully restored LRs and lets face it, they look bloody good no matter Mid Grey, Marine Blue, Light Green. Heck I even like the old Sandglow and Bahama Gold as colours for a LR.

Has anyone got good pics of the dark grey that was available on SIIA i think?