lo-fi

What do you do when struggling with enthusiasm?

Posting a thread about it on here helps me. You don't manage anything for weeks then post up the smallest thing (that you don't think is interesting) and suddenly your in a discussion.....

Mike

• Like 2

Maybe we should consider a group buy of these T-shirts:

image.png.84ec7b5573826db130e104e28644c000.png

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:24 PM, lo-fi said:

Got a couple of projects languishing unfinished... A late 2A 109 6 pot SW and an early 2A 88. Both need major bulkhead surgery, the 88 chassis needs a patch up, the 109 a new chassis. I'm currently slogging through a bulkhead resto thinking "this is utter #£_@#". Its not difficult, it's just needless hard work because it was designed/made so poorly to start with and the repair panels are less than great to say the least. I've had several fits of rage over why you'd go to the trouble of making a lovely press tool for the vent panels, only to produce panels that are designed to be a nasty bodge fit. Anyway... I digress. 

We've all been here with Land Rover projects, I'm sure.... What do you do/have done/are doing to get you over the "Land Rovers are awful and why am I doing this?" doldrums? I'm kind of at the point where I need a second wind or just say sod it, flog the valuable parts and chuck the rest in the scrap. House move coming up in August, and I'm not moving it all as parts again!! 

Sincerely, one very disillusioned Land Rover owner. 

On 1/9/2020 at 9:39 PM, Badger110 said:

I tend to walk away for abit, do something else and allow my brain to reset to the task.It might take an hour or 3 months, but i usually come back and carry on.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:46 PM, Anderzander said:

It’s tough ... I have two approaches: First one is to take a break, like Badger says. I’m usually telling myself ‘I’m sick of this’ and/or ‘this is supposed to fun’  - and the plan is to wait either until the enthusiasm has returned or (as a minimum) the negative emotion has gone. 
 think the downside to this approach is that I have 20 year old projects in the garage 😳

The second approach is be disciplined but kee expectations very low. So spend a small of time on a regular frequency - and make sure I never skip.

Even if it’s 15 minutes on two evenings - and no more. Eventually they add up and can reignite your enthusiasm too.

So the replies from Badger 110 and Anderzander are releveant to me, especially the keep it going bit; I got 1 hour on my jeep this week, but it was worth it. I now know how I am going to do the engine mounts basically. 

I have pondered the 'why am I doing this' problem, then I realized I was not enjoying my Landrover anymore, the reason being that there was always a deadline; it has to be finished for an event. It's just this realization that has changed my approach: forget about the events on the other side of the country or continent, and just do something you enjoy doing. When it is done it 's done, but no deadline. This is the problem you have. If it has to be finished in August, you start pushing things and it turns into a job. So rethink the deadline idea, or at least get one car working, rather than 2, and it may not look so bad after all.

Daan

I can see how the deadline would affect you, it turns a hobby into a job, and no one wants that unless they’re being paid 

good luck with it, it’s about the journey, not necessarily the destination 

Crikey Ian, you are well on with it now, and it will be a thing of loveliness. Once there is a bit more warmth and light it's always an encouragement to do a bit more. I once had a huge pile of cobblestones to move, impossible to use machinery or even a barrow, and a friend said just do 2 a night. I did, and it is surprising how soon there was a noticeable difference. Thus encouraged, I started doing 3 or 4 some nights, and then near the end had a big push to finish. I do think back to that, the achievement is not that you finished but that you did that bit. Probably like dieting but I wouldn't know.

• Like 1