What do you do when struggling with enthusiasm?

lo-fi

1 hour ago, Escape said:

It definitely makes things much easier! But it was also a life choice: I don't own a house, I only have about 20m² of office space converted to living quarters in the Workshop. Just the bare necessities, like the small student flats Leuven has in abundance.

That's why I didn't say you're "lucky" to have the workshop - because you've sacrificed stuff to get it.

I know it wound Jez up when people told him he was "lucky" to have all the nice tools when in reality he worked really hard to build the workshop up - salvaging scrap tools/machines and restoring them, scouring eBay, etc. to find hidden treasure and driving all across the country to fetch it, doing endless favours for folks in return for bits and bobs to bring stuff together.

I think it's hard for some folks, especially when they see the stuff on Youtube where people turn out amazing work but they're in huge shiny workshops with loads of power tools (usually Americans) and they're sat in the p*ssing rain outside a single-car garage with a Halfords socket set thinking they can't possibly do what those other guys do.

• Like 3

It’s interesting to see the similarities and the differences in the various philosophies.

What does seem to be evident is that it’s better to have just one or two project vehicles, whether they be full build projects or long-term rolling work projects, and not overwhelm yourself with tasks and costs, to use said vehicle(s) frequently in order to reap the rewards of all the work put in, and to have another vehicle (even just a tin box) to take the time pressure off when doing a major job on a vehicle you normally drive.

As for the working environment, it’s obvious that the more comfortable and convenient the workplace is, the more you’ll use it.  Decent lighting, ventilation, warmth and a clear, clean floor do wonders, and it must be a bind for those who have to drive a significant time to a remote facility as opposed to having a decent garage at home.  Having enough work bench area, electrical outlets and a sink with running water are not to be underestimated - the ability to make a quick brew in the garage while you’re giving something a thick coat of looking at without having to traipse into the house, take the overalls and boots off and clean up before brewing up is a surprisingly large benefit!

On 12/31/2020 at 10:25 PM, smallfry said:

Still like it though, can you even still get the panels ? I see it has the earlier wings with the higher ridge along the top. Goodyear Grand Prix S tyres ?

Good luck with it, not many around now, not that there were in the first place.

My Rover has not been on the road since 1979. Bought new set of Avon Turbosteel VR crossplies for it 1996, cost £600 then. Was going to do a quick recommissioning. Never got round to it. Never fitted the tyres. Now they are too old to use :rolleyes:

This was a daily driver up to 1990 and its been off the road since then. I have sourced a new set of wings (you can get fibreglass ones but the ones I found were original) - she has flat top wings on her, not the curve up I think you are thinking of. The sills need a little work, chassis leg under the driver and the rear arches (but you can buy the pressed arches still). The rest of the body is sound - it was always garaged and undersealed from new. I took delivery of a roll over jig the other day so I can get to work on it properly soon (I hope!!)

Good guess on the tyres - I just checked and you are spot on..

I had a look a while back and I think there were only 150 2-door saloons left that were known of - it will never be worth much but thats not why I have it. 

Any pics of the Rover?

Edited by reb78