coil spring compressor

trojan

good morning , and a happy new year to all .

over the last few months i seam to be changing coil springs on my , and my mates land rovers quite a lot , and it's a job i don't like doing due to me having a dislike of coil spring compressors .

i fitted heavy duty rear coils on to my 90 yesterday and i 've decided I'm not doing it again , it always seems like an accident is gonna happen , i can never get the clamps on in a way that I'm comfortable with . the clamps i have are Sykes pickavant but I'm sure their must be something better , so the question is , what do you use , how much are they , and where do i get them from .

also any advise will be very welcome ,

rick ..

oh , and just a quick point , the springs I'm having trouble with are not standard springs , it's the heavy duty +2 and +3 inch springs which are giving me trouble .

thanks again ...

Hmmmm………… you don’t need spring clamp on a 90, especially the rear. Just support the chassis on an axle stand, then undo the lower shock mount and let the axle drop down. All the tension comes off the spring and it then dislocates. It doesn’t matter what type the springs are.

The front is pretty much the same…………

Ian

Hmmmm………… you don’t need spring clamp on a 90, especially the rear. Just support the chassis on an axle stand, then undo the lower shock mount and let the axle drop down. All the tension comes off the spring and it then dislocates. It doesn’t matter what type the springs are.

The front is pretty much the same…………

Ian

i've tried that and they never seem to drop far enough , maybe i'm not trying hard enough .

i hope i've not risked my health for nothing .

Or put a small bottle jack between the axl;e and chassis. Do not try and do both sides at once though. Ideally you want to be lifting the axle on the opposite side to the spring you want to change while lifting the body on the side you are working on. this will ensure maximum droop on the side you want to get the spring out of. For fitting you can compress the springs using a forklift, a front end loader, a 360 digger, a car hoist or something similar and then wire the springs together before releasing tesion. This will make them easier to get in. Just be a bit careful when releasing the tension when fitted..... :o

thanks for that ,

just a couple of things i'm doing wrong then !!

and i like the sound of the jack between the chassis and the axle , although i will struggle with the 360 , and the stacker :lol:

cheers !!!!