Tall axle stands

bishbosh

Any recommendations please for tall axle stands to support a disco 2 body above the chassis that I need to repair? I have recollections of some military trestle that they used to hold the whole front of a vehicle 3 or so feet up in the air ? Not sure I need that but definitely need something taller than my collection of "normal" height stands!

Thanks.

We had steel trestles in the lab (just fabricated from ~80x80x5 box) which worked lovely - made just a bit wider than the chassis rails with a tab at each end to stop it sliding off.

I got my tall axle stands 2nd hand from Sodbury, they're agricultural or commercial, stand about 18" tall at minimum height.

I've got both trestles and jack stands that I've made up, I'll see about getting some pic's if you want..... like most of my shop stuff they are made from the offcuts pile under the steel rack 

The trestles are alot lighter than Fridges but the legs are braced in an "A" so very strong, same deal as Fridge a little wider than chassis width, I didn't bother with end tabs.... its not a bad idea but I like the smooth top it makes it easy to pull them out ....... these are really usefull lol (my mates have seen them in action and keep borrowing them, only got 1 left in the shop at the moment)

The jack stands are 3 legs of angle with rod ties (to stop them spreading) with 6mm wall pipe in pipe slide with a pin, I've got the pin hole drilled in the stand pipe half the distance from the top compared to the gap between holes in the adjusting pipe (hope thats understandable lol) what it means is I can pin them ontop of the stand to get a half adjustment, the pad "U" ontop is roughly at 30degrees to the orientation of the pin holes so I can turn the adjusting pipe to give me different orinentation compared to the legs (if they are hitting something like the tyre) or I just pin it ontop of the base and I can turn them to where ever 

I've got two different lengths of adjusting pipes for each one so I can have them just above my normal car jacks height up to (I think about 4 feet) 

Been meaning to make another pair with a short thread adjuster ontop of the adjusting pipe