Land Rover Defender Ninety Rear Spring Seat and Retainer

Hi,

1988 Land Rover Ninety with (I believe) the stock rear axle with drum brakes.  I ordered britpart springs (front  and rear 1inch lower) and new spring seats - the way I bought the car was with a lift kit in the rear which does not use the stock spring seat and no spring retainer at all.  I ordered NRC9700 spring seats for front and rear.  The front springs are slightly narrower than the rears and it's clear the NRC9700 is meant for the front spring width.  The spring seat on the rear springs does not quite fit the way it should because there is some free play side-to-side - it's the wrong part.

Looking at a Land Rover Ninety parts catalogue, I see 575579 up to LA VIN's and ANR3578 from MA VIN's.  My VIN is EA.

I look up part numbers on lrdirect.com because they ship to the USA really quickly.

575579 is unavailable but ANR3578 is available on lrdirect.com.  Looking at bearmach, it seem sthat NRC9700 superseded 575579 and fits early defender and Disco 1 - I'm assuming that means a drum brake rear axle.

I ordered NTC6106 spring retainers also and they just don't seem quite wide eough for the wider rear spring.

Here is the play in the rear spring on the NRC9700 seat - on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnoqnrdhXlk .  Is it possible that LR have the same spring seat and retainer for front and rear despite different spring widths?

Thanks in advance

Rab.

Springs seats on 90 front & rear are the same, as are range rover classic & original Discovery. 

Only 110 rear spring seats & springs are a larger diameter. 

Pattern parts may have some slight difference, I would say the new springs are not to spec as genuine LR springs, 

Once the springs, seats & retainers are bolted down the springs shouldn't move. 

Thank you western.  Sounds like I have the correct parts then.  In your experience, are the springs front and rear on a 90 the same outer diameter?  I don't have them in front of me to measure since the car is stored an hour away just now - it's not impossible I have been provided 110 rear springs by accident.  Since spring seats are so cheap, maybe I should just order a set of the 110 ones to see.

From the sideways play that you see in the Youtube link - would that concern you and suggest that I have the wrong rear springs?  All the springs, retainers and seats are britpart.  I could measure the ones which are on the vehicle just now, but since it has a lift kit, I doubt they are stock anyway.

Rab

Pretty sure they are the same inner & outer diameters. 

110 springs are much bigger diameter, 

110 rear spring seats are NRC4317 these are approximately 168mm diameter where 90 spring seats are approximately 152mm, 

So if you have 110 rear spring in error there would be a lot of sideways play across the diameter of the smaller seat. 

• 2 weeks later...