Rear storage ideas

L19MUD

You don't need a box if its inside, a side panel and if you wish a lid is enough, it also means you can still access the rear light wiring.

bungee cords in the roof for coats and you can fit a hell of a lot of stuff behind the front seats, wheelbrace and 27mm socket, disco bottle jack, tow strap and shackles to name a few, there's only ever you in the way of getting that stuff out.

Will

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

7 months on and with the rest of the rebuild pretty much there I am finally going to do something about this

I still think copying the ones Snagger has will be the best solution. I would probably buy a MSS version if it was not for the fact they insist on making everything 22cm high so it is the same height as the seatboxes from the floor. This is obviously irrelevant when they sit on top of the seatbox and means they are about 1cm too small to fit a 1 litre bottle of oil/ps fluid etc in which is very annoying!

Just a different idea to throw into the mix since I redesigned it again. I got the inspiration from the Mantec website but because of the 322 seats in there they weren't going to fit so decided to make my own.

Mk1 was a couple of inches higher to line up with the front of the seats when folded down flat. With a proper thickness mattress on top it was a little tight when on-top to move around.

I dropped the new version down so that it lines up with the rear of the seats when folded down (OK it means there's a slight slope if you sleep in it but it's pretty negligible). I'd also lined the rear of the tub with thick ply which meant my old brackets didn't fit because the wheel boxes were 18mm wider. The side effect is that the side pods now fit sheep lick buckets in the side very neatly (the did fit before but they were a bit of a squeeze). Handy for general carting around of stuff.

I haven't boxed in the sides but I might make a lid to sit on-top of the wheel boxes because I actually find it quite useful being able to reach in from under the shelves to get stuff stored in those. The shelves are split in half - basically just a bit of angle that sits inside the frames and then box across it and a 5mm sheet of ply on top. They're just a tight fit so most of the time don't even need bolting in place. I might put some bolts through the two halves and some quick release gas struts so that if I'm camping and have a mattress on-top I can just lift the whole shelf up in one go to get access underneath rather than having to slide out boxes.

veIX33OXHLjUHgI8cOB7seDBHZ32PwYsAxBevrBB7bIB7OkNIykIpn8WEqcUMtPyDN6igIk1-aH3j_mNbtn7F4g15v3hrbwUkAuOv92TQSpQ0vN8esPUjAeEO175y3SkPGViXtUwILg-iWfQ83-zAuxQ8orUlbq2bMVN6RG_I-okFFktrv65wotwPSOSNN3nsgrRIttRvptncdyKs0ih6lR8DxPH7ukB-1uNQi67QDlXlYUUcTWqRubFB7bLOoM_NbX_Ey59VY9k8NbkXObCydP8QwQxjJSXfL0uj1rRyHM4tsfQBDFTRj1w11D8Ca98mVSAyYrWUJ1AIHJ8fHcgGVJfvpCXVuZykY8ozY6V5NiqHvbhz6-GscuZ2Upyw74_j6-7pwMzkETulGvazja9jmX0eIW_tsSVe6OArxZ2-PLyM2YhJ0NePB5N14JqowEHSzgJC-XSrdfkMPr48ihzWcP4gkhPdyONCAy6wki6CeH9M352Us5uUqf6KUlCmZwe3VsW3IbxYPFJiBSUtWHNWD0TqqkRVhA_b-cfEE2xGr9TODmjhRKdjkh_FoLjbj8NFf49iiY3Kzv9FTYT217L_-XAoU6yXiZZjPXZu1qrbsAAiLyfbsI4gvvRGybN6HQV7VPLizC6DRV9AgxSsqZAW04Z_FXiVcpRlqyY7uYy_zby4IeyRF8K2G40mD8Ewdc=w1919-h1082-no?authuser=0

Can get some more pics if you want - just happen to have this one handy. It was definitely done in under 2 lengths of angle (I get them in 7.5m lengths) so about £10 worth of steel and some time with a chop saw and welder.

14 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Just a different idea to throw into the mix since I redesigned it again. I got the inspiration from the Mantec website but because of the 322 seats in there they weren't going to fit so decided to make my own.

Mk1 was a couple of inches higher to line up with the front of the seats when folded down flat. With a proper thickness mattress on top it was a little tight when on-top to move around.

I dropped the new version down so that it lines up with the rear of the seats when folded down (OK it means there's a slight slope if you sleep in it but it's pretty negligible). I'd also lined the rear of the tub with thick ply which meant my old brackets didn't fit because the wheel boxes were 18mm wider. The side effect is that the side pods now fit sheep lick buckets in the side very neatly (the did fit before but they were a bit of a squeeze). Handy for general carting around of stuff.

I haven't boxed in the sides but I might make a lid to sit on-top of the wheel boxes because I actually find it quite useful being able to reach in from under the shelves to get stuff stored in those. The shelves are split in half - basically just a bit of angle that sits inside the frames and then box across it and a 5mm sheet of ply on top. They're just a tight fit so most of the time don't even need bolting in place. I might put some bolts through the two halves and some quick release gas struts so that if I'm camping and have a mattress on-top I can just lift the whole shelf up in one go to get access underneath rather than having to slide out boxes.

veIX33OXHLjUHgI8cOB7seDBHZ32PwYsAxBevrBB7bIB7OkNIykIpn8WEqcUMtPyDN6igIk1-aH3j_mNbtn7F4g15v3hrbwUkAuOv92TQSpQ0vN8esPUjAeEO175y3SkPGViXtUwILg-iWfQ83-zAuxQ8orUlbq2bMVN6RG_I-okFFktrv65wotwPSOSNN3nsgrRIttRvptncdyKs0ih6lR8DxPH7ukB-1uNQi67QDlXlYUUcTWqRubFB7bLOoM_NbX_Ey59VY9k8NbkXObCydP8QwQxjJSXfL0uj1rRyHM4tsfQBDFTRj1w11D8Ca98mVSAyYrWUJ1AIHJ8fHcgGVJfvpCXVuZykY8ozY6V5NiqHvbhz6-GscuZ2Upyw74_j6-7pwMzkETulGvazja9jmX0eIW_tsSVe6OArxZ2-PLyM2YhJ0NePB5N14JqowEHSzgJC-XSrdfkMPr48ihzWcP4gkhPdyONCAy6wki6CeH9M352Us5uUqf6KUlCmZwe3VsW3IbxYPFJiBSUtWHNWD0TqqkRVhA_b-cfEE2xGr9TODmjhRKdjkh_FoLjbj8NFf49iiY3Kzv9FTYT217L_-XAoU6yXiZZjPXZu1qrbsAAiLyfbsI4gvvRGybN6HQV7VPLizC6DRV9AgxSsqZAW04Z_FXiVcpRlqyY7uYy_zby4IeyRF8K2G40mD8Ewdc=w1919-h1082-no?authuser=0

Can get some more pics if you want - just happen to have this one handy. It was definitely done in under 2 lengths of angle (I get them in 7.5m lengths) so about £10 worth of steel and some time with a chop saw and welder.

That is a decent solution but you have the luxury of it being a 110 and therefore having extra seats when you need them. Whatever I do needs to retain the use of the 2 side facing seats I have fitted to one side

I was thinking last night that I could make something the shape of what snagger has but add in some draws from a tool top chest into the bottom on one side of it to create more usable space and be able to find things.

I'm intending to have a set list of things that are kept in there at all times as opposed to needing to transport other random stuff which will have to just get chucked in the load space

I can't believe I never saw this thread before.

My storage box is near identical in outer shape as Nick's.
Construction is a frame of 25mm angle, skinned in 1mm steel. I happened to rescue some stainless piano hinges many moons ago and the made a perfect lid hinge. The lid is just flat steel, although the hinge stiffens it enormously. It's held shut by a 90 degree turn 3-point latch  -  nice and easy to operate with gloves on.

It is removable in theory, although it's far too heavy to lift out without emptying first. The top edge is secured by M8 bolts that fix to nut plates secured behind the capping rail. The inward face has 2 lashing eyes that are ratchet strapped to the load bay eyes. 

image.png.5b38372ea5d2ee1b6f44639d17fdb90e.png

image.png.575e18e09152049414c69988eaf7304d.png

I just found a rather basic drawing I made of the profile. Maybe someone will find it useful.

image.png.e24e2aaab3528c7151f3a853ea865bf8.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickeyw said:

I can't believe I never saw this thread before.

My storage box is near identical in outer shape as Nick's.
Construction is a frame of 25mm angle, skinned in 1mm steel. I happened to rescue some stainless piano hinges many moons ago and the made a perfect lid hinge. The lid is just flat steel, although the hinge stiffens it enormously. It's held shut by a 90 degree turn 3-point latch  -  nice and easy to operate with gloves on.

It is removable in theory, although it's far too heavy to lift out without emptying first. The top edge is secured by M8 bolts that fix to nut plates secured behind the capping rail. The inward face has 2 lashing eyes that are ratchet strapped to the load bay eyes. 

image.png.5b38372ea5d2ee1b6f44639d17fdb90e.png

image.png.575e18e09152049414c69988eaf7304d.png

I just found a rather basic drawing I made of the profile. Maybe someone will find it useful.

image.png.e24e2aaab3528c7151f3a853ea865bf8.png

That is very useful! Thanks

I think 25 mm steel angle and chequer plate ali is probably what I will use. I am going to pick this up tonight which I plan to cut up and use the draws from and possibly those over centre latches

Toolbox.thumb.jpg.205095073b936d64546fe239738396bc.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 1:49 PM, L19MUD said:

That is very useful! Thanks

I think 25 mm steel angle and chequer plate ali is probably what I will use. I am going to pick this up tonight which I plan to cut up and use the draws from and possibly those over centre latches

Toolbox.thumb.jpg.205095073b936d64546fe239738396bc.jpg

Will the white box fit in the back of the Landy?

• Haha 2

• 2 years later...

Well a rather embarrassing 3 years after I started this topic I have started making something. The dog has had enough of the compressor or steering lock falling on it round corners. I came up with a design and got a quote for it to be made from all Aluminium and welded...that came to £1,00 so was quickly squashed.

Instead I bought a couple of lengths of 25x25x3 angle and some 25x3 flat to make a frame. I cut it all up to the required sizes using the bandsaw I acquired this week. Note the annoying 3mm gap in the middle section where I did not account for the fact the cross piece was not going to the outside edge. I made up three of these frames

box1.thumb.jpg.d9d827173405328556e3aea5b45d68b6.jpg

I then joined them up to make the main frame of the box. The bottom left will be a drawer and then there will be a hinged lid to access the rest. I plan on using Ali chequer plate on the front and side faces and Dibond for the unseen areas and will spray it all black. After much jiggling about and swearing I have it nearly square across all 3 dimensions. Next to clean up the welds and then make the lid and drawer insert

box2.thumb.jpg.11dcfaef9bb4356e530fed3f3ccd5320.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, L19MUD said:

I came up with a design and got a quote for it to be made from all Aluminium and welded...that came to £1,00 so was quickly squashed

Nice

For that sort of money you could pick up a decent second hand TIG and learn some new skills

Regards Stephen 

• 1 month later...