Unusual P38

Simon_CSK

I have just bought a P38 becuase it has an LPG system that I am going to fit into my P38. All the woodwork including the steering wheeel has black wooden trim which personally have never come across in anything other that a Linley. I know for a fact it isn't one because it is badged as a Vogue and the steering wheel isn't inlaid with mpoother of pearl. Anybody seen the black wood before?

7 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

A different bootlid? What does it say on the V5?

Bowie

I am very hopeful that it is a changed bootlid it make the purchase a complete result if it is a Lindley.  I get the car next week when I will see it for the first time in the flesh 😲

The car has 188k on it and when I checked the MOT history it would appear to have been well cared for with only a few minor fails like bulbs and gators. The question for me is do I keep the black wood kit and change the colour of my wood or do I sell it. 

The car is for spares for my own one although I suspect this one is easier to fix than my own is to finish.

That does look nice! Appearantly there are 2 types of wood trim for the P38, the usual being burr walnutt and burr maple being used on the 30th anniversary it seems. Not sure if maple would be so dark in colour.

What's keeping you from fixing this one and selling the other one? Or is there some emotional connection to the other one, like the reason I'm spending so much effort converting my first V8 to manual...

Filip

43 minutes ago, Escape said:

What's keeping you from fixing this one and selling the other one? Or is there some emotional connection to the other one, like the reason I'm spending so much effort converting my first V8 to manual...

Filip

Filip

Since buying my first Freelander (new) I have loved the black car with beige leather interior. I think it is a great colour combination and closely matched my CSK.

This one is an insurance right off with very minimal damage and needs a wing, which I have, a bonnet and a windscreen to repair it. The seats look like the softer leather also but the edge of the drivers seat needs repaired. The mileage does put me off but the fact that it appears well cared for is very much in favour.

The wood is definitely black the Walnut doesn't go that dark and the maple is quite orangie.

I am very torn as it would be a shame to destroy a rare car I think I need to do some research on it once I have collected it.

16 hours ago, western said:

Linley had the 'linley' inlaid to the wood strip on glovebox as in this photo 

Image result for range rover linley

Guys

Thanks to all. I have looked at this photo and with the exception of the mother and pearl inlay on the dash, I can't see the steering wheel, the car internally is an exact match. As far as I am aware Landrover never put the black wood into a production car so that either leaves an Autoboigraphy or a Linlay unless someone has other suggestions. I personally am eagre to collect the car and see what she actually is. And see if there are other clues as to the origins of the black wood trim.

• Like 1

When I was looking for my P38 I looked at a Vogue (may have been an SE) that had this black wood trim, wasn't a special edition. I think it was an option on the very last vehicle. I tried to find a set of the black trim on ebay for mine but could never find a complete set so didn't buy them.

On 1/21/2020 at 11:36 AM, task said:

When I was looking for my P38 I looked at a Vogue (may have been an SE) that had this black wood trim, wasn't a special edition. I think it was an option on the very last vehicle. I tried to find a set of the black trim on ebay for mine but could never find a complete set so didn't buy them.

I have a complete set of black trim for sale lol

Basically the car isn't anything special just a 2001 Vogue with black wood trim the first time I have seen black wooden trim on any P38. 

So essentially I am going to rob the bits I need for my p38 which includes the LPG kit, sell what I can to get my money back and scrap the rest.

• 5 weeks later...