200tdi head work

pigster

After the last post I did, I have completed the pressure test and have concluded that my valves are not as good as they should be.

the pressures were interesting

4th cylinder 315 (by bulkhead of 90)

3rd cylinder 400

2nd cyclinder 310

1st cyclinder 400

so as you can see they aint right, she puffs blue smoke a lot on startup and she doesn't fire as nice as before.. so I reckon the valves (after a recent cleaning session 6 months ago are not quite right) I previously took the head off and de-coked it and just cleaned everything up in there and swapped the valve seals for new ones, the cylinder block was fine (no problems at all)

so now it looking like another strip down of the head, so what bits would you replace as a matter of course. ? ?? ? ? the engine is worked hard in an off road environment mainly - just incase this matters. and also done 105 thou miles

I know I will need a headgasket,

exhaust gasket

I am redoing the injector copper washers

and the copper return pipe washers

new glow plugs are going in as well

valve seal cap things again...

anything else people?

what about valve springs - -

or the valves stems

I would like to be prepared with the bits and get it done this weekend...

cheers in advance

Just a long shot - have you checked the valve clearances? If they are a bit tight on the low cylinders it might cause the problem.

Regards

Diff

As diff sais check the valve clearances first!!

My disco 200TDi has needed adjustment a few times and have noticed that number four always seems out more than the rest.

Considering you decoked 6 months ago it may not be your head but could be needing a new set of rings.

First off though check your clearances!

Make sure the engine is at the right temperature before you adjust as well.

The best thing to do is carry out the adjustments give the engine a few rotations manualy and then check the clearances again.

Could save yourself a lot of time, money and effort..............and then spend the money on something far more enjoyable :D

Cheers

Grant

I am rebuilding my 200tdi and was going to get a new head cos both of the ones i had have small cracks around the injector/heater ports.

Took it to an engineering shop and they said its very common and not to worry too much but back to your question they did a vacuuum test on the valve sealing for free and i just needed a skim and pressure test as the valve seats and guides are fine.

I am going for new valves, springs, caps,and colletets plus a head bolt set with the head skim and test it comes to around £220

if you are taking it off i would take it to an engineering shop who can test the valve sealing in about 10 minutes

If you reseated the valves 6-months ago (I take it you mean a re-grind), then I would assume you replaced the stem seals. In which case check valve guides for side play.

Ideally, to recondition a head you would remove valves and seals, de-coke, skim the gasket face (or at least clean it it very carefully), replace the guides if required, check the valve spring free length - then regrind each valve to it's eventual guide, new stem seals, new head gasket of the appropriate thickness, inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets. Set the valve/tappet clearances initially, then run the engine for a while (an hour, or until it reaches operating temp). Re-check tappet gap and adjust where necessary, that's about as good as you can get.

Les. :)

If you reseated the valves 6-months ago (I take it you mean a re-grind), then I would assume you replaced the stem seals. In which case check valve guides for side play.

Ideally, to recondition a head you would remove valves and seals, de-coke, skim the gasket face (or at least clean it it very carefully), replace the guides if required, check the valve spring free length - then regrind each valve to it's eventual guide, new stem seals, new head gasket of the appropriate thickness, inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets. Set the valve/tappet clearances initially, then run the engine for a while (an hour, or until it reaches operating temp). Re-check tappet gap and adjust where necessary, that's about as good as you can get.

Les. :)

tappets - - I have only ever done them whilst cold - ooopss.. I'll check that then and see what happens.. and then if that don't work... oh what fun.... :o)

cheers fellas.. very helpful indeed.

tappets - - I have only ever done them whilst cold - ooopss..

That's correct, workshop manual says adjust when engine is cold to .20mm COLD [but if others reckon doing them warm is better then I won't argue] & make sure the little valve stem caps ERR4175 are in place 1 per valve.

to be honest.. I thought it was my stem caps at fault - as they were not a geniun product... oops.. but we shall see..

I'll do the tapets first or at least adjust them and then see what happens.. fun fun fun

That's correct, workshop manual says adjust when engine is cold to .20mm COLD [but if others reckon doing them warm is better then I won't argue] & make sure the little valve stem caps ERR4175 are in place 1 per valve.

I would do them cold, run the engine, let it go cold again and then recheck.

They will be different warm to cold.

I have adjusted tappets at both temperatures before and noticed that the clearances are way out if set warm and then rechecked cold.

At the time I noticed the engine didn't drive as well and when I reset them back when cold it felt a lot healthier.

Les, apologies for being contentious! :blink: Its just something I noticed when I was "advised" that checking them warm wouldn't make too much difference from doing them cold.

Setting the tappets on no4 cylinder (rear) was a pig as well! :D

I usually set them using spanners and a screwdriver but my old man uses a clikadjust type tool which he swears by clicky

The one he uses has an orange top and I think I saw them for sale in halfords made by Laser, Frosts do them as well..

Let me know if anyone else agrees/disagrees?

Cheers

Grant

well I don' know.. you just can't get the proper technical free advise anymore.. whats the world coming too... :D

cheers boys... looks like the job may have to hold off till next weekend now as I have got a few trees to lop down over the weekend... lets hope is sunny and warm... yeah righto... :rolleyes: