Defender 200tdi Bulk head post corrosion

Paul64

Just been out in the garage and been assessing the work required for when Rejo gets over on Saturday. Maybe I am hallucinating, but it looks a big job gettin that wing off.

1. Drop bull bars

2. Take door off

3. Take front head lamp and indicator out

4. Take snorkel off

5. Plastic wheel arch liner out

6. Detatch wing

7. Detatch air vent inlet

Have I added too much to the list or missed anything. I am just looking at the small patch of rust and wondering if it is worth so much effort?

Cheers, Paul

• 1 month later...

Still not done!

Have been putting the job off by reassuring myself that it is not that bad, just a few bubbles under the paint.

Rejo took the bull by the horns requesting a screwdriver and a hammer and the put it straight through the bulkhead 2mm above the wing. So yes the wing has got to come off.

Guest WALFY
Just been out in the garage and been assessing the work required for when Rejo gets over on Saturday. Maybe I am hallucinating, but it looks a big job gettin that wing off.

1. Drop bull bars Not necessary. Depends on access

2. Take door off No need

3. Take front head lamp and indicator out Wiring loom unplugs. Bulkhead end of wing

4. Take snorkel off

5. Plastic wheel arch liner out

6. Detatch wing

7. Detatch air vent inlet

Have I added too much to the list or missed anything. I am just looking at the small patch of rust and wondering if it is worth so much effort?

Cheers, Paul

Hopefully thye above in red will help you out abit. It's not that bad a job. The bolts(big screws really) that hold the wing to bulkhead will be rusty. Just clean up and rewfit with coppaslip. HTH

Hopefully thye above in red will help you out abit. It's not that bad a job. The bolts(big screws really) that hold the wing to bulkhead will be rusty. Just clean up and rewfit with coppaslip. HTH

Thanks Walfy,

I think the door will have to come off though as rust close to hinge.

Just seems like a hell of a lot of work for a small hole. It's not structural right? I have had a good poke around below the wing and behind dash and seems ok. So why is it so important to cut right back?

Cheers,

Paul

You need to cut all the rust out back to good metal to be able to weld it right. Other wise you will be doing the same in in a couple of years.

Paul

Point taken,

Rejo is coming on Saturday with his welding kit so the pressures on. I took the snorkel off, door card off and wiring disconnected from door. Then it came to removing the door. I managed to eventually remove the two top hinge bolts but the lower two I just couldn't budge. Lots of WD40 and even resorted to impact driver but the b*****ds just refused to move. Any tricks of the trade to sort them out would be appreciated?

Then its the wings turn.

Cheers, Paul.

Paul you'll have to cut the bolts through

a hacksaw blade behind the hinge or drill the heads off then you can cut the bolts(whats left) afterwards or weld nuts on to get a better purchase on the old bolts with a spanner.

get some new captive nuts and bolts ready to refit. There is a black plastic spacer under the hinge they will get sacrificed if you go for the cut off method straight away.

Paul you'll have to cut the bolts through

a hacksaw blade behind the hinge or drill the heads off then you can cut the bolts(whats left) afterwards or weld nuts on to get a better purchase on the old bolts with a spanner.

get some new captive nuts and bolts ready to refit. There is a black plastic spacer under the hinge they will get sacrificed if you go for the cut off method straight away.

Thanks for that. So far all my efforts have been to save the bolts but it probably will come to that. I have used reverse screws after drilling out the centre of the bolt before, but never on anything quite so big. I was even thinking of buying the mother of all screwdrivers to get a better purchase and grip.

Cheers, Paul.