Favour needed pleeeease

Chambo110

Guys

After a favour please. 
Could one of you kind gentlemen with a rr sport measure the front seat at widest point and also the height from the base including frame 

Im looking to change my defender seats and was wondering if these would fit

many thanks in advance 

From an L322 so I think they are possibly even bigger than the RR Sport ones - I think the RRS share the same layout as the Disco 3.

The front ones need either the seat base dropping or if you're of the right proportions (as I am) then you can probably get away with just removing the front bracket that lifts the front of the seat squab up, the mounting holes need to be relocated. I don't think they'll work in anything other than a 110 station wagon though unless you've done some drastic bulkhead removal. The bit that's likely to catch is the corner by the B pillar, in a 110 SW it's a nice 90° corner there so you've got the clearance, don't know about other models.

The rears do just fit (technically they are wider than the inside of the car but a bit of door slamming squashes the cushions :blush:. Obviously need a custom frame welded up for them and ideally they'll be mounted lower down in the vehicle. I've only got to my "proof of concept" stage so far so didn't want to cut into the wheel arches before I knew they would work. Now that they do I'm inclined to drop them an inch or two. You also need a 110 USW for the rears as the seat backs latch into the wheel arch in the L322 so needs another bracket fabricating to latch them into. In a Station Wagon they're halfway through the rear windows.

Some pictures I have handy:

DSC_0025.thumb.JPG.21abe67827795a529136b0bef5d9119b.JPG

DSC_0015.thumb.jpg.e37b987de3d04e64d3ef8f8ba3daa260.jpg

Apologies about the mud in the rear - had been to a shoot. We'll gloss over the machete on the floor... :ph34r:

The fronts utterly transform the vehicle for long distances - having a proper armrest is a massive improvement - although the cubby box wasn't too bad, this is adjustable :D. All motors work but I haven't got around to building a PWM controller for the heated seats yet, been busy dropping axles onto my fingers :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:.

• Haha 1

Perfect.. looks superb.. and yes I have a csw

still deciding if I’m doing 3 on 2nd row or if I could squeeze in 3 lots of fronts .... so 2,2,2 with small walkway down middle.

front 2 for now I think then have a play round

appreciate the pics 

thanks 

I just drilled out the captive nut plates and relocated them (held in by rivets). I think I might have chopped an inch or two off the length of the runners and enlarged a hole to take the standard Defender bolts.

Underwear storage??? :hysterical:

Underseat? - Sort of, it's a bit of a sod to remove the lid since the motor for the runner sits flush to the floor so you really have to shove it in hard. But with the seats lifted up completely you can get a hand under there. Just enough space to get a set of jump leads in too although I've changed them to an Anderson connector. The drivers storage is the same but you wouldn't want to keep anything you access frequently in there. I keep some emergency spares in there (fan belt, wheel bearings etc.).

The framework is for the second row of seats, I just welded a frame which bolts through the existing seat belt mounts in the floor. The framework also has the benefit of not having any verticals in the middle so you can push long stuff through underneath. It's actually quite handy for storing stuff underneath as the second row seats tip up easily. I've yet to box it in but might do in the near future. Things like tow ropes, jump leads etc., sit under there.

Legroom is massive compared to the original but I've lost a bit of boot length as a consequence, not sure I'd trade it though. With the front seats further back then the leg room is as minimal as you'd want to get. The bonus is because the L322 seats are proper full-depth in the back that you don't actually need too much actual "space" between the front seats and the rear because most of your upper leg is actually on the seat.

Dogs massively prefer the new seats compared to the old.

DSC_0028.thumb.JPG.318cf6d9e920a241125d8d64a9dcda23.JPG

• Like 1

Great news. These are deffo the seats I’m looking at.

when they recline forwards, how far do they go? I’m guessing no where near flat... in their usual role I’m guessing they don’t need to.

as mentioned I think I might like to put another 2 in middle row and if space permits another 2 in boot. But, I still like the idea of them being able to recline forwards to flat position for larger loads .  then again, I have a roof rack so maybe not. Although the versatility would be nice.

another option would be these in front and something like smax or galaxy seats in middle and rear. For the gold flat option ??? Decisions decisions 

dogs do look comfy I’m just not sure id let them be driving 😂

thanks again for quick replies,  pics are very helpful 

Tilted forwards there basically vertical (bearing in mind the Defender seat box slopes backwards).

I'm not sure you can fit them in the back because they're too tall to sit on top of the wheel arches. They'll be too far forward on the floor and side by side I don't think they'll fit between the wheel arches as they're too wide.

The ones I've got came out of a Vogue SE so have the screens in the back. Ones out of an HSE might work if they're more manual and you can remove the headrest. 

I don't think you have a hope of fitting 3 rows in. For the above reasons the fronts probably won't work and using rears there's simply not enough space.

You also need to consider seat belt mounting points. In mine the fronts reuse the factory ones (removed the built in ones on the seat). The rear has a similar plate (but channeling my inner Nige) to mount the seat belt to the sides and then uses the same base anchor point and then RR buckle. They are all tied into the chassis at the bottom end this way and the tops are built in the same way. But probably stronger than the factory mounts.

Great info there Ed.. appreciate it

for the fronts I’m not overly bothered about the forward tilt, comfort outweighs all other things.

rears .. hmmm?? Might have to re think then. When camping there’s normally 6 bodies, that’s why I was aiming for 6 seats. Might have to look into smax or galaxy seats then for the 2nd and 3rd rows.  On the plus side I’m guessing they may be cheaper.

thanks

mark

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

I'm heading London / Guildford direction on Monday for about a week so if you fancy a little detour down Surrey direction you could have a look at them in the flesh.

Appreciate the offer but I’m on nights next week. No problems I think I have what I need from the pics and info you fellas have provided already. all very helpful 

then Jon comes along and scrambles my brain even more .. 

1 hour ago, =jon= said:

Someone on t'other forum has put RRS sport seats in a DCPU https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70499.html?highlight=sport+seats

Love the look of these 3 seats in 2nd row, but, do I still go for versatility with 3 separate seats ??? Decisions decisions 

not sure how the fella on other site picked up 2017 seats for £100 ?? What a find that was.  All I can find is £350+ still not too bad, but £100 is a lot easier to hide from her indoors 😉

cheer chaps

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased the l494 interior.

paid £300 for seats and door cards. Obviously doorcards won’t work but seller didn’t want to split.. and I didn’t want to lose out.. seats are near perfect.. so didn’t want to lose them. Very comfy aswell.

Electric with heating and cooling. Now need to wait for dry weather.

powering up is gonna prove to be a struggle. Not too special on electrics, so if anyone has an idiots guide ... would be much appreciated 

5D651E4B-D542-4D8E-9B38-07768893FD11.jpeg

1C89A8C7-FCF1-4F4A-A4F5-3D43DB332EE9.png

Photo of the connector to the seats?

If its like the L322 then there's two big terminals which are compatible with the 1/4" spade terminals and give them 12V and the seat motors all fired up (these had integrated controllers). The heated seats are separate contacts with an NTC thermistor so require some electronics to make work properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone electronically minded help me decipher these please??

im thinking that c33 is the connection blocks in my last pics . But not 100% sure. 
colours seem to match these diagrams 

I’ve tested the motors and all work individually but how do I power the seats up please.

Thanks in advance 

Do you have the page with the key on it?

I'm guessing YE-RD means yellow / red, BN-RD means brown / red etc. Your pictures aren't clear enough for me to see the twists in the colours. I'm guessing the 2.5 after the colour code means the cross-sectional area in mm² because 2.5mm­² is approximately 35A rating. The number afterwards I'd hazard a guess as to the length of wire. I would concur that C33 is the big connector on the right.

I would wire up POWER FEED 1, POWER FEED 2, POWER GND2, POWER GND 1 and LOGIC GND from the Driver seat module. You might also need to wire up the LOGIC FEED cable as well.

See whether that brings anything to life. If not then slightly worryingly it might require the CAN bus to be up, hopefully not as there appears to be a LIN connection between the switch pack and module. Hopefully that's built into the seat and is already connected up for you.

Ed

thanks for taking the time to look over these. Much appreciated 

Not sure I have the “key page” but I’m pretty sure your correct from what I remember reading. Colours, 2.5 being the wire size and yes the last number is the length of that particular piece 

I am carp at vehicle wiring, or so I thought, but I did come to the same conclusion as yourself as in these are the ones I need to power 

yellow/ red 12v via 30a fuse

brown/ red 12v via 30a fuse

grey/yellow 12v via 15a fuse.

plus the grounds you mention

fingers crossed I’ll have a play at weekend 

many thanks again. I’ll let you know if successful 

I have now tried .. and kinda succeeded??

with the wires joined as above I can move the seats in all directions ... but.. only in very short movements.. if I hold the slide forward for example, it moves , then stops almost immediately.. if I then let go of switch, and go again it will move again.. this is the same for all movements 

so

what am I missing ??

Thanks