Unable to identify my radiator ??

tuko

As written above I'm unable to identify my radiator. There is a sticker on the side of it that has what appears to be a part number 54174 but I'm unable to find any information on it. 

IMG_20200119_134549.thumb.jpg.bbe64938133e4ac887e5d2e9da4b89cc.jpg

The reason why I'd like to identify the radiator is that I've noticed in the fjords climbing the roads up over the mountains that the engine does get hot. I'm considering going to a better radiator, possibly the 4 core but I'd like to know what I have now.

Looking into the finns/core it seems to be just 2 cores. But I have to admit I have no idea what a 3 core or even a 4 core looks like so I'm not sure if I'm looking at it correctly. 

Is there anyone that could shed some light on the radiator part number that I have? 

The 6cyl radiator 577383, what is the difference between that and the 577609? I do realize the 577609 is 3 core and the 577609H is 4 core.

Thanks,

Todd.

I'm still hoping to identify this radiator, I do realize the last set of images didn't show a whole lot so I'm hoping that these of the core can shed more of an opinion on what I have.

IMG_20200129_132118_resized.jpg.8956e2cb2f0350d6eb0882ae06906cd5.jpg

IMG_20200129_132131_resized.jpg.479d62640216c6fd70586f182cf40f8d.jpg

IMG_20200129_132104_resized.jpg.d72c7dbd2d8d94e7b79a540ffc077772.jpg

Also while scratching my head and looking at the radiator I seem to think that it's too busy in front of the radiator. 

IMG_20200129_131152_resized.jpg.9aa8ca1699ab5fafcc8187e795ac6a37.jpg

I've removed the lightbar for the time being and plan to trim the unused bracket on the intercooler. Also the right upright I plan to cut out a 20mm strip the entire length to help increase air flow through the intercooler. 

On top of that I measured behind the radiator and see that I have 70mm clearance which will allow me to mount the electric fan there after converting it to a puller.

Removing the clutter I think should help with increasing airflow and cooling 🤔

So in the mean time, can anyone identify the radiator with the core images?

Thanks.

Todd.

I don't need a part number, but I can add that the above image that you provided, differs slightly from my radiator. At the bottom is shows a tap, mine doesn't have a tap. BUT with that said, it's a replacement radiator that I bought years ago so who know's who the provider was and what they scrimped on while providing a pattern item. 

Do you know what the core looks like on the HD 4 core radiator?

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I struggle the believe that can't keep a TDi cool, the rad on my 109 sits behind the stock panel and cools a 4.6 happily despite having half the fins per inch of a standard one.

I wonder if there's another problem with the system as a whole?

Where I've gotten warm is when we are in Norway and say climbing up from Geiranger to the top of the pass which is only 1100 meter above sea level. It's the 17km drive to the top where I've ran into heating issues, this is just one example of a place that I know you've been to. 

I'm thinking that air circulation through the radiator can be improved. Plus I have ordered the 4 core radiator thanks to the link provided above. When I did the head work last year I didn't change the water pump which a few people have mentioned that I should have done, so that is included with the improvements. 

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Our 110 (200tdi) only ever needs the fan on when towing.

Mike

My plan is to improve cooling for the trips that we do with the fully loaded 88. The hardtop rooftop tent, 270 awning, 35L fridge plus all the other camping equipment that we can manage to stuff into the Landy adds up quickly which we feel on the mountain roads. 

We are already planning a trip to Spain next summer, one week at the Mediterranean ocean, a week crossing the mountains to the Atlantic ocean where we will spend another week. The mountains in Spain are considerably higher than those in Norway, so I want to make sure that cooling is not going to be an issue when there. 

16 hours ago, tuko said:

Where I've gotten warm is when we are in Norway and say climbing up from Geiranger to the top of the pass which is only 1100 meter above sea level. It's the 17km drive to the top where I've ran into heating issues, this is just one example of a place that I know you've been to.

Well stalked ;) yes we drove up there - in a 3-ton ambulance with a V8 and standard Defender rad and the fans never came on full power - which is why I'm suspicious of your smaller lighter truck with a much cooler running engine overheating. Sure the std Defender rad is a bit bigger (no intercooler/oil cooler unlike the TDi's) but your Series rad is knocking on similar size to a stock Defender TDi rad so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't up to the job if everything's working as it should.