Disco 2 Wont Start -BCU?

TAZA

Taza Member

2004 Facelift (Manual)
Engine wont turn over,everything seems dead
Put key in ignition and wont start not cranking, all that happens is i get 6 like audible alarm pings
My key fob has not worked for years i just open manually, noticed this time all the other doors don't unlock.
Alarm LED on dash not lit or flashing
Thought it might of been battery so charged it up and still the same.

Red LED flashing on Navigation System goes of when turn key

Also flashing symbol in the digital mileage display looks like a B

Is there any fuses for ECU,I have nanocam so if there is anything that I could check (limited use on this)T
Things that don't work
Windows
Indicators
Seats
Sun Roofs
Central Locking

Things that work
Horn
Blower
Wipers
Lights
lighter

Any help appreciated

Guys Just an update on the fault, before I started going down removing the BCU unit I thought I would take a chance and put a Electric Heater inside the car,

1. Disconnected Battery
  2. Unplugged all the connections on BCU
  3. Put electric heater in the footwell pointing up at the unit
  4. Left for couple of hours
  5. Fitted all plugs back
  6. Connected Battery Back Up
  7. Bingo it started

Just skimming this, if there's a bad or cracked solder joint on a PCB, heating it up can re-make the connection temporarily. If you can open the unit & check the solder joints it might show something - although the cracks can be microscopic so sometimes just touching the soldering iron on each joint to re-flow the solder and hoping is all you can do.

Only if you're competent at soldering though, otherwise you risk making things far far worse.

• 1 year later...

Hi , jumping in on this 

exactly similar occurred today . It rained a little bit, been really dry .  Disco 2 2001 v8 . Tape over the sunroof for years . 

I leave it unlocked . Went to use it ( had last done so 20 hours previously) . Cluster lights on , doors locked , only worked manually . Front right indicator light and repeater on . Radio and climate on . It started even if I “immobilised “ it . I disconnect battery to have that hope it would fix everything and boost power and improve mileage at the same time , naturally it won’t start at all now as the immobiliser now works , and the remote doesn’t . 

I will try the heater out of interest , but the explanation about the Pcb improving momentarily seems plausible ( given the heat in the car could be significant) . 

or should I just get another BCU?

I have just got a series 3 so no doubt I will be back , I have no clue about this really . I like ‘em though . 

• 3 months later...