300tdi refresh

Keeper96

Morning all,

I have a 300tdi conversion in my 90 but it’s currently off the road so I’m looking at giving it some tlc. 

it runs okay and there’s nothing actually wrong other than a feeling of being slightly down on power compared to my other 300 and sounding slightly rougher at idle. 

id like to give it a little overhaul without going crazy and was thinking of a set of rings and big end bearings, check the valve seats etc. While the head is off and measure the bores with the pistons out, obviously of anything is obviously off it will be a full rebuild or sorting the issues but would I notice any improvement simply in doing rings and big ends and having the injectors and fuel pump refurbished?

jamie 

This could be a slippery slope to a full rebuild. I assume that the engine has been fully serviced, valve clearances checked and adjusted as required, timing has been checked and the hoses from the turbo, intercooler and manifold are in good condition?

5 hours ago, monkie said:

This could be a slippery slope to a full rebuild. I assume that the engine has been fully serviced, valve clearances checked and adjusted as required, timing has been checked and the hoses from the turbo, intercooler and manifold are in good condition?

Totally agree here. Where do you stop? If you change the big end bearings, rings etc then you might as well rebuild the whole thing. For me, if it's not losing oil and water then just do the clearances and any seals that are leaking. At a push re-seat the valves by removing the head but only if it's obvious that they're leaking.

If it's a bit down on power then maybe rotate the boost diaphragm and give it a good service?

Fit a new timing belt and take some time to get the timing just right.  Set the rocker clearance and service air filter - also check it doesnt have any dragging brakes/low tyres.  Manifold gaskets often get blown through, split or leaking intercooler hoses also common.  A little tweek on the fueling may help as well if not already done.   Before you strip the engine down do some tests - check oil pressure and a compression test which will tell you if you have a worn engine.  They do pretty big miles without major work so if it's not knocking/smoking/asthmatic it's probably fine.