Sankey Trailers

reb78

I have a roof tent that I use on the 110, but can see the advantages of mounting it on a trailer - especially for local camping trips around the Cornish coast line that are around an hour from the house. For longer trips i would probably still put it on the roof to save towing a trailer a long distance.

In Mikes wanted thread recently, a few seem to have come up for sale - widetrack and narrowtrack versions.

What are the technical differences?- apart from the obvious and what are the pro's and cons of each type? Will a narrow track one tow well behind a 110 (someone on the thread mentioned that wide was for the 110/90/defender vehicles and narrow was for series vehicles).

Edited by reb78

They're just supposed to "match" the track of a landy, but no difference or reason you can't tow one behind the other otherwise. The wide track has a nice tailgate and hydraulic damped hitch, which is nice, but either tow well. 

I made a flat bed with drop sides for my narrow track and a little frame to put a canvas over. It has side bars too now and the canvas sits rather nicely. That's just an original sankey cover, but you could easily make a frame to take a landy canvas. The chap that made that cover does all kinds of clever stuff with canvas. 

IMG_20190821_200416.jpg

IMG_20190822_131931.jpg

Edited by lo-fi

Narrow tracks were built to follow the wheels of series axles widths

wide tracks were built to follow defender axles widths

Narrow tracks are older with older brakes, tow hitch set ups but built like brick **** houses

wide tracks are newer running gear with disc brakes on the latest versions

I reckon unless your going to be using them at the maximum loads, either one will suit your needs

There are two types of narrow track ours is a ½ton early type (50/60s) the later is ¾ton (60/70s) although there is very little difference in tub, suspension or main part of the chassis. The hitch and draw bar are quite different though mine has a tube with the hitch on top and a doing damper (this type is easily rotated to allow use of a normal height tow bar). The later type has the hitch mounted on top of a kind of A frame designed to hitch at crossmember height (I don't know if you can alter the height). They all tow better with extra hitch weight (spare wheel up front is enough)

My one is 50s (early narrow track)

IMG_20200119_154413_resize_96.jpg.67c9c9601f6c41db187ea247871ec903.jpg

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

If you were to opt for a wide-track, I would personally aim for a Mk3. The swing-away jockey wheel is useful and they benefit from hydraulic disk brakes. You can distinguish a Mk3 from the earlier ones by the hitch set-up, Mk1 and 2 hitch arrangements sit on top of the drawbar, the Mk3 sits level with / inside the end of the drawbar which also helps them tow less nose-down.