TD5 Defender wont start

oap

I have this defender since 2004 and have fixed a lot things on it over the years but I'm sure what the problem is this time ?
I replaced the fuel pump about two years ago and the injector seals around the same time, so I'm hoping that they are not the problem this time .
It was getting hard to start before Christmas but I replaced the contacts in the starter motor and all was good for a week or two. After Christmas it took a long time to start maybe 30 seconds spinning before it fired, this happened a few times and it let me down eventually
It started a few times since, when I sprayed paraffin into air intake but that wont work anymore (it tries to fire when paraffin reaches the cylinder's but wont)
Oil wicking its way into the ECU is a common problem on the TD5 but mine is fine and its half full of diesel .
So any suggestion on where to start looking for the fault?
Thanks for any help.  

I've had the same problem with my 2004 Td5 90, getting more reluctant to start, sometime running the battery flat in the process. however when it does start, it runs perfectly well.

I checked with my Nanocom and found it was giving a "noisy crank signal" fault. If i parked on a slope and bump-started it, it would fire up right away but was always reluctant on the starter, hot or cold.

The fix was to replace the starter motor, although it would spin over normally, I suspect the motor brushes were worn and causing sparking, enough to interfere with the crank signal, the sensor is fairly close and being electromagnetic it's susceptible to such interference.

It now starts instantly on the first flick of the key, happy bunny now 😊

Could be on to something there cr the starter motor has been fixed twice now , I replaced the brushes about 10 years ago and as I said the contacts before Christmas.

Thanks for the reply. 

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Could possibly be the fuel regulator.

What happens after you run the priming sequence?  Turn key to on, depress accelerator five times.  It will cycle a few times then stop.  Will it start after that?

The filter is just about due a change (I change it every 12 months) and  bleeding  the fuel system has made  no difference. 

I'm going to check all the fuel lines and the pressure regulator at the weekend, I hope the problem  is that straightforward. 

I dread having to pull out injectors again. 

Thanks for the reply.