Freelander 2 - Key fobs not working properly/intermittently

FreddieT

Have a 2010 Freelander 2, with both key fobs. I have had no problems for the last three years but suddenly neither key fob wants to open the doors/windows etc., although they do intermittently. There is no problem with starting and running once inside the vehicle and it nearly always 'locks' with the fob when leaving it (although on a couple of occasions the driver side windows front & rear have lowered themselves to half way for no reason). Next time I come to use it, it is hit or miss whether it will unlock, which means I have to use the key for entry. Once in the car starts perfectly - and the cycle continues.

Is this a water ingress problem, an ECU or BCU problem. ANY IDEAS!! it's so irritating.

Edited by FreddieT
missed word

Each fob contains a battery which is charged when in the slot in the dash.  This battery is used for the unlocking electronics and might need changing.  Once in the slot the car recognises the fob but doesn’t need the fob battery to start.  It is possible to open the fob and solder in a new battery although there are people on eBay offering this service.   

Thanks for your reply

I did think about the battery, but kind of dismissed it as BOTH fobs do the same and thought it too coincidental that both batteries would fail simultaneously. 

When one of them does open the doors, the boot NEVER unlocks (nor on the separate 'boot' button)

• 1 year later...

yeah give it a wack to work - for me it was the left side of the fob off a wall!! but as pointed out there is an issue with these - the battery has tags that go through a PCB and get soldered in. One of these tags has been cut too short and therefore did not get enough solder.

I was put off fixing mine as i seen the mess that some people made opening them. i got mine open by squeezing it in a vice, length ways each corner and side - just enough to distort the plastic and break the seal. I got the battery soldered up with plenty of good old 60/40 - tin/lead this fancy lead free stuff aint as good- still not approved for medical products, and glued back up with loctite 460, good as new!!!

couple of other points to mote,

the battery will only charge while driving and with the buttons face up.

also my old fob was worn -buttons must have got swollen as it was getting caught in the dock.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same issue with a 2008 Freelander I recently bought.  Exactly as you describe. With BOTH fobs. Only on unlocking. No problem locking. I find it unlikely the fault is both fobs - more likely a controller in the car. Can these be checked? Where is the sensor in the vehicle located?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are having same problem except today all the dash lights come on as normal but it will not start? Any help on here? And sometimes when it won’t lock it just beeps once from horn. But I really need to start it as it’s not at home 

• 2 months later...

Freelander 2007 . Two key fobs  going at the same time . It will not unlock and sometimes locks . I got the battery changed in unit yesterday and it worked very well for the day , today  it will not open with either fobs I feel the problem has to internally in the  vehicle maybe the vejicle is know longer holding the frequency needed for the fobs . 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi there,

Did anyone find a solution to the key fobs both not working? 

I've had my fob repaired and new batteries still will not lock the car, none of the buttons work at all yet the central locking works fine when I use the buttons inside the car.

• 3 months later...

Hi All 

I have had the same problem.  I wanted to refresh the fobs and replaced the outer cases with cheap ones from Ebay.  Initially these worked without issue but recently for some reason they started to struggle to work..  

I replaced a battery on one of them but still no better.  

I then tried using the electronic circuit board bit without the case and hey presto - they work..!

this got me thinking that the circuit board inside the case was not being supported correctly.   I inserted some stiff foam at the back of the board and replace in the case, They now seem to work fine.

Ironically even when the buttons didn't work in the cases, they did sound like they were clicking.. thus throwing me off the scent for a while..

I hope this helps some of you.. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 7:24 AM, FreddieT said:

Have a 2010 Freelander 2, with both key fobs. I have had no problems for the last three years but suddenly neither key fob wants to open the doors/windows etc., although they do intermittently. There is no problem with starting and running once inside the vehicle and it nearly always 'locks' with the fob when leaving it (although on a couple of occasions the driver side windows front & rear have lowered themselves to half way for no reason). Next time I come to use it, it is hit or miss whether it will unlock, which means I have to use the key for entry. Once in the car starts perfectly - and the cycle continues.

Is this a water ingress problem, an ECU or BCU problem. ANY IDEAS!! it's so irritating.

Unlock the door to your dream home in Lebanon through this Beiteck. This house for sale offers a perfect blend of comfort and charm, creating the ideal space for your new chapter.

I have a 2011 freelander 2 with locking and unlocking fault the fault was intermittent at the start so had battery changed but still have same issue is it possible it needs a new alarm/ lock unlock arieal