Galvanized Ninety Chassis & Bulkhead Project

Arjan

As we have a wealth of experience here - seriously - I'd like to ask you guys what pitfalls I could encounter when doing a chassis & bulkhead swap for the Mrs' Ninety.

Base vehicle is a RHD Hard Top 2.5 N/A - now running a 200 Tdi and in use.

It seems I'm getting in May a Galvanized chassis to use for a swop / rebuild.

I have a spare Td5 bulkhead that is to be galvanized once prepared / altered as I seem to recall they differ from the "older ones".

Also in the stores, Disco I axles I could use.Electrics will be custom loom etc. (I like to create some hidden extra's to keep the vehicle as long as I can)

One question I have if any of you have experience with creating a "PTO Hole" in the rear quarter to house the tow bar socket like in the Series.

Please, let me have some suggestions as what to look and prepare for !

Thanks !!

18 hours ago, Arjan said:

One question I have if any of you have experience with creating a "PTO Hole" in the rear quarter to house the tow bar socket like in the Series.

I'd avoid drilling any extra holes in a galv chassis, and IIRC that big PTO hole would need a sleeve welding in which will bu&&er up the galv even further...

Can you put the socket somewhere else? Mine's on the back body, opposite side to the number plate.

Chassis is not yet galvanized - therefor my question regarding this "PTO hole..."

I have a socket roughly where you mention - but it is used for charging the battery in an electric tipping trailer we have.

The Series Hybrid has the socket in am PTO opening - we welded tabs in before galvanizing the thing - and as the Ninety often tows "3rd party trailers" and I do not like extension cables I'm looking into modifying the cross member.

I know there are various, often conflicting, opinions on galvanizing a chassis that is not brand new but I have done this before and think it will be worth it.

Not exactly what you want to hear but I have my towing socket inside on the panel covering the wiring for the rear lights, works really well and my trailers have a socket on the front with a long flexi suzi going between the two.

A hole saw and matching tube would be my method for adding a pto hole.

will.

TD5 bulkhead differs in a few ways, wiper boxes have different brackets, from memory you can cut the TD5 ones off, tunnel is smaller, again use the diaphragm as a template and cut it out, redrill holes for the diaphragm, weld in captive nuts, you will be glad you did on clutch changes, you need a hole for the wiring on the main loom to pass through to the fuse box, lots of holes that will need blanked off,  you need to drill a new hole for the wiper motor, you can fit a riv nut in this, its been over a decade from fitting a TD5 into a 200 so I am sure there is more, but , all in all its a pretty easy thing to do.

Fit it and build it up, then when all the mods are done strip it and get it galvanised.

2 hours ago, Arjan said:

Chassis is not yet galvanized

Do you really want to galvanize an original chassis? You will never get a chance to get the zinc everywhere. Capillary forces keep acid between the doubled sections, but no zinc.

Restauration30.jpg.1836074bad4881f2a1b9c5c393ed653b.jpg

" Do you really want to galvanize an original chassis? "

Ideally, perhaps not.

However, the ones we did have after 25+ years proven to be still very, very good.

The galvanizing people told me they have the thing in the various bassins with nasty stuff a bit longer.

So far, I did not find problems.

2 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

Do you really want to galvanize an original chassis? You will never get a chance to get the zinc everywhere. Capillary forces keep acid between the doubled sections, but no zinc.

Well you wouldn't bother galvanising the one in your picture :lol: but given the way galv works I'd happily galv a used chassis on the grounds that it'll be far better than a non-galved one even if it's not perfect.

3 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

Capillary forces keep acid between the doubled sections, but no zinc.

mmmm how do you think your new chassis wil be galvanised .... yes ... it wil go thru the same acid bath .... so i don't think this is a factor  ...

I have done what you are planning. Chassis swap would have been easy. Bulkhead a pure faff as i hate wiring and faffy  bits of plastic dash.

on the engine side is it a disco or defender 200? As think where you want a bracket for the clutch pipe if at all.

There is a wiring bracket / earth point above the trans tunnel in the middle on the engine side. I removed it before halving the bulkhead. But in hind sight it probably could have stayed . I welded a bar across the feet of the bulkhead to prevent warping.

Good luck 

This is just what I hoped for - opinions, experiences and ideas !

Thanks everybody - keep it coming please..

Electrics : not a problem as I make my own looms (and different from the way LR does it). Dash needs mods as heating will be modified so not too worried about plastic things (although not the nicest bit of the project)

Engine is genuine Defender 200 Tdi and an LT77 gearbox as n the present vehicle (with a baaaad chassis)

Only reason for using an ex Td5 bulkhead is for having one here sitting doing nothing and just begs to be modified and used.

Seatbase is LT77 so that is something that needs to be seen to.

I was told when I galvanised my chassis it would rot through in a couple of years, they thought it was a old one but it was brand new metal . It was completely  rusted it looked old as it had been in the acid tank at another galvanising plant but and they wanted double to galvanise  it as there was writing on it with black marker , so it had been left outside for a few days and it will rust instantly after the acid tank if not fluxed and galvanized  ect. So it up to you but they told me it would not last long ,and if there is still paint inside the galvanising won't take unless you do that process they wanted to charge me double for, I dont know what the process is though. Maybe someone has done an old chassis and it lasted years that's only my experience as to what they said to me.

Andy

15 hours ago, hurbie said:

mmmm how do you think your new chassis wil be galvanised .... yes ... it wil go thru the same acid bath .... so i don't think this is a factor  ...

I used the polish chassis. It is constructed for galvanizing. That means, if there are bigger forces in the chassis, they use thicker material and don't just double the Layers. Layers allways lead to capillary forces and ungalvanized parts in the chassis, where acid and moisture can stay. There are holes at places in the chassis, where liquids of galvanizing can flow completely out. No remainings.

As I know, what it means to have a chassis changed, that and the bulkhead are the only parts, where I tend to perfection. This is to much work.

Edited by Sigi_H