jason110

Discovery 300 TDI value

Before I start, this isn’t a for sale thread. I’m after some advice. 

I’ve got an old 300 tdi disco, it’s been used as a motorised wheel barrow while we carried out some house renovation and ground work. That’s all come to the end now and I’m contemplating what I should do with it. Do I break and sell or pull the engine keep it mothballed and scrap the rest ? 

I just wanted to know what’s the rough value of a good tdi, r380 gearbox, transferbox and axles, alloy wheels. The body work is largely beaten and the chassis is crusty and I don’t think it’s salvageable. 

I understand it’s worth what someone is willing to pay etc.  just after some rough guidance on prices so I’m not a million miles out and wanting to see if it’s worth me bothering to split it in the first place. 

thanks in advance. 

jason. 

If it's not likely to go on the road again due to being a potentialy massive MOT failure then you kinda have to go from scrap value and work up from there. If you're capable of removing the engine then that's going to be worth a couple of hundred at least and then the carcass about £150ish weighed in.

Value of a vehicle is, as you say, dependant on what people will spend but equally if you break the vehicle then all the good parts have value. It just depends on how far you're willing to go. Rear axles for people who have old drum brakes 90's are worth a bit, front axles too if the swivels are good, power steering boxes are usually in demand, the list could go on.

But if it's unlikely to go back on the road easily and you don't want the hassle of a major stripdown then I'd take out the engine and gearboxes, remove the axles, take a few other choice bits and store them, and scrap the rest.

Unless it's a two door....

6 hours ago, Tetsu0san said:

Unless it's a two door....

Explain this further please regards Stephen 

4 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Explain this further please regards Stephen 

There's just something about two door (or three door if you count the rear door) models that seem to attract people. They're rarer than the five door version and even though they're probably more impractical they seem to be more likely to be bought and restored rather than broken up and scrapped. I would imagine that in a few years time (if not already) they will start to demand higher money than the five door models. You certainly don't seem to see as many two door interior parts at jumbles compared to the endless seas of five door stuff.

As a side note I recently picked up a two door 200Tdi Discovery and I fully intend on getting this up to scratch and replacing my five door 300Tdi with it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that. Think I’ll strip it then and list the bits and hope they shift.  So you think the bigs bits like engine, gearbox, transfer box, axles, steering pump are worth saving? I’m asking because ive been out of the game for a while and I’m aware it’s a 20 year old plus truck so demand for certain bits might of changed. 

1 minute ago, jason110 said:

Thanks for that. Think I’ll strip it then and list the bits and hope they shift.  So you think the bigs bits like engine, gearbox, transfer box, axles, steering pump are worth saving? I’m asking because ive been out of the game for a while and I’m aware it’s a 20 year old plus truck so demand for certain bits might of changed. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not in the garage game. I'm just an ejit who for some reason likes getting oily and dirty underneath a Land Rover.

The way I see it is that if you've got the space, take the bits that are most likely to be needed by either you or someone else and scrap the rest. There are more people out there like me who would be interested in an engine, a good gearbox, a transfer box as an upgrade to an old 90/110, rear axle convertion (like I said earlier) but don't really want the hassle of buying the whole vehicle themselves, removing the parts twice (once from their vehicle and again from the donor), and then getting a dismantler to collect what's left.

Discovery 1's are getting rare on the road, but small parts are easy to come by. However good big bits like engines etc are always desirable to the right person. However, this is the opinion of an ejit.

1 hour ago, Tetsu0san said:

As a side note I recently picked up a two door 200Tdi Discovery and I fully intend on getting this up to scratch and replacing my five door 300Tdi with it.

I have also picked up a 200tdi Discovery although it's a 5 door interior is very hard up but chassis sound and body retrievable in my opinion just dont know whether to restore or break it just got so much on at the moment regards Stephen 

9 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

I have also picked up a 200tdi Discovery although it's a 5 door interior is very hard up but chassis sound and body retrievable in my opinion just dont know whether to restore or break it just got so much on at the moment regards Stephen 

When I got the two door I also got a five door 200Tdi and a MK1 Hilux from the same seller. All this along with a VW Beetle, my existing Discovery, a Defender 90, and my 110, I've got more than enough to be getting on with.

I'd break it, properly

The days of wrecking a D1 around a P&P site are numbered. D1 200 tdis are going up in value, certain 300 tdis are also going up in value (3 doors, Aviemore etc). If you run a 200 you'll know that certain parts are getting hard to find - even second hand; so 300 stuff is being put to use.

A cheap replacement to engine or drive train on the 200 is to use stuff form the 300, although not as good an engine, it's got  a larger variety pf readily available parts...

Hi

Disco 1s are getting rarer by the day, I broke 1 recently and at least 10 people messaged wanting the engine..