Alternator alignment

Wowa

Again, reinstall after full rebuild. 1988 CSW TD> 200tdi (11L) earlier conversion.

Even before rebuild I was replacing the belts too quick but here the pulley alignment is way off. Bracket fixes nicely to block. No damage to the bracket. Alternator just sitting tilted back a little. See pics. Any clues?

alternator 1.jpg

I also think your adjuster isn't mounted correctly. On your picture it looks like it is almost horizontal. On my 19J (and I'm sure the defender spec 200tdi is the same), the adjuster is mounted to the timing cover plate lower so that it points upwards towards the alternator at about a 2 o'clock position. 

Someone may have a picture to help you. 

This is actually Western's picture I found on a search (hope you don't mind Ralph?). 

It shows the correct position of the adjusting bracket for the alternator as I was trying to describe above. 

post-20-020377000 1292539712.jpeg

13 hours ago, monkie said:

This is actually Western's picture I found on a search (hope you don't mind Ralph?). 

It shows the correct position of the adjusting bracket for the alternator as I was trying to describe above. 

post-20-020377000 1292539712.jpeg

This is a disco 200tdi, not a defender.

This thread is confusing me. If the belt is not aligned, it must be the wrong bracket for this type of engine, because this defines the alignment in that case. Since everybody can see, that the connection of the bracket to the block is only hold by 2 bolts, it's clear in my opinion. Is it a Defender or a Disco Engine? Maybe they are different in this place.

It is not important whether the tensioner is behind or in front of the hole on the generator. This is only a matter of the distance used.

Maybe I overlooked it: Has this bracket been there before?

Here is another Pic. Engine is 200TDi Defender. The bracket is mounted with 3 bolts!

bracket.jpg.b12a3134a16710fa81536f40b42a6c77.jpg

Sorry, I think it's me that has caused the confusion. Two separate issues here on this thread about the alternator as far as I can see. The OP's question was regarding the alignment which is clearly out with the alternator sitting further back in relation to the fan pulley. From the pictures by the OP, I think as well as the alignment issue the adjuster bracket used to set the belt tension is mounted incorrectly which may or may not result in difficulties tensioning the belt correctly when the alignment problem is solved. Best to correct that now to save some trouble later on when the alignment is corrected. 

Having studied and reread the original post I have a couple of questions:

- If you remove the tensioning bracket/arm and just tighten up the two lower bolts (my understanding is that one has a sliding sleeve in the alternator and the other clamps up to a machined surface) does the pulley line up better or is at least parallel. I thought the tensioning bracket/arm may be skewing it slightly.

If it is indeed parallel then you know you just need that extra triangular plate and you should be sorted.

Steve

The triangular plate is required on Defender 200tdi, This plate is NOT fitted on Discovery 200Tdi engines,  it lines the PAS/alternator bracket forward without it, the bracket sits to far back & therefore pulley alignment will be out & the 2 bolts[marked with yellow dots in 2nd photo]  that go in from left to right of the PAS/Alternator bracket will not line up with there threaded holes in rear part of timing case.

WP_20171031_15_25_11_Pro.thumb.jpg.2843a8991a7df44e27960875881ee50d.jpg

WP_20171101_14_14_10_Pro.thumb.jpg.b62860447a1dc5fb4093546e18934cff.jpg

1)  Wowa is missing the triangular spacer plate as western pointed out at the beginning of the thread.  This is causing the alignment problem.  The missing part is ERR1264.  It is available and not expensive.  See attached diagram. 

2) The adjuster is installed incorrectly.

3) I can only assume the other bolts must not be installed in the alternator/PS pump bracket that go into the timing case as they would not line up.

Perhaps Wowa will return one day and clarify...

Capture.JPG