Importing my Defender to France from the US

Out of Egypt

I'm currently living in France and am thinking about importing my 1991 Defender 130 from the US.  I bought the Car in Egypt, did quite a bit of work to it, and imported it into the US where it is now registered.    I have the Heritage certificate which indicates that it is a Defender 130 200TDi.  It also indicates LH, Export, but without a "destination" as may certificates seem to do when sold in Europe (ie dealer and city or country).  It belonged to an Oil & Gas company working in Egypt and I presume that they imported it to Egypt out of a fleet vehicle.  The Serial Number Codes out to 110 wagon, but that appears to be the norm before they started making 130 specific frames I believe within a year of when this vehicle was built.  When I had this vehicle down to the frame, you could see where they spliced in the additional 20-inches of frame.

So my question is with respect to Certificate of Conformity.  I have seen some discussion on this and have the Land Rover France form from their website. 

1. Any idea on the likelihood of just doing an online request using the serial number and getting a CoC? 
  2. What if they reject it, will I know why and what would the next steps be?  As far as I can tell, this 130 is no different than it would have been if sold in France. 
  3. It has Euro glass and headlights (except windshield which was replaced in Egypt). 
  4. On the Land Rover form, they request tire size.  I have LT235 / 85R16 tires on steel discovery rims.  Would I need to go to a stock size or at least say that's what I have and then have stock sizee on when I go to register for the first time?
  5. I installed an oversized intercooler.  I can for the purpose of importation reinstall the original one. 

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Bon Soir,

Request for a CoC from JLR France is here : HOMOLOG@jaguarlandrover.com ()they want € 240 these days)

If the VIN # refers to the vehicle sitting outside (110 - 127 - 130) with that fuel type you could get a CoC (P)

However, why not sell the 130 in the US as they seem to fetch good money there and French Immatriculated Defenders are not too hard to find.

As you may know, these days the whole process is done on line once you have the paperwork.

Bon Courage !

My experience of French registration processes pre-dates the new system, but the initial step of requesting a CoC from JLR remains the same.

I found that is the key, .....if JLR France don't see a problem with it, then happy days, ........if on the other hand someone looks closely at it and decides that this vehicle type was never available/applicable to the French market then it spells trouble. French administration staff (and make no mistake the JLR man does not see himself in a 'Customer Service' role!) are not used to discussing and negotiating such issues, they take a view on it and once taken that 'view' is rarely altered.

It is basically a gamble with that first payment,... if the chance of having your own Landy follow you is worth a punt at €240 plus signed for delivery then go for it, but you won't know until you stump up what the result might be. 

Good luck with it anyway.

I don't think you need CoC for pre 1998 vehicles?   One suggestionif you have any friends in the UK would be to ship it here where registration is very simple, then drive it over starting with an EU registration document and MoT which should negate needing the initial roadworthy test - I don't think process will change much post brexit for a while if you're quick. 

Last time I tried, having a UK registered vehicle didn't simplify the process at all. I don't know about the 1998 bit but an EU approved CoC with a red stripe down it was universally acceptable currency when dealing with the 'Fonctionaires' . Something to watch out for is if your 130 was origially a chassis cab then beware that the CoC would only be 'partial' and you would need to demonstrate that the bodywork on the chassis cab conforms  separately. 

"... I don't think you need CoC for pre 1998 vehicles? ..."

image.png.3997e58eba3c24f877be2b183a0783d9.png

Yes, you do, and it is called a " Attestation de Conformite (Partielle)"

Unless a EU Type Approval exists for the vehicle, and not all late versions Defenders have that in specific versions, you'll need a JLR France issued one.

€ 240 if you're lucky..

With a bit of luck you'll then need to visit the regional DRIRE (or DREAL as they are now known) office for further fun & expense...

Doable, but not the easiest..

Nobody knows at the moment what happens on January 1, 2021 between the EU and the UK.