Spraying aluminium - coat timings

simonpelly

Hi Folks,

Looking to spray up some bare aluminium.

Granted will clean, degrease, wet sand P600, abrade, etch primer (2 coats), top metallic colour (2 coats) and lacquer (2 coats). Small panel, so using rattle cans.

The cans all state touch dry timings of 30mins. However, would be intersted to know thoughts on how long to leave between coats, e.g. how long between etchs, how long from etch to colour, how long between colour coats and similaely to lacquer and between lacquers. Should you wait for touch dry, longer or shorter.

Many thanks for advise, 

Simon...

I would recoat about every 10/15 mins for the etch but wait until totally dry so you can rub the etch with a scotch pad before applying top coat it would help the finish it you also had some tack rags to wipe any dust off surfaces before spraying regards Stephen

Thanks for replies so far. Have taken over the kitchen - other half so far keeping a sense of humour. Glad not to be in shed in this weather.

Etching coats seem covered by above. Thanks for reply.

How long from etch to first of colour coats? Touch dry 30 minutes or 24 hours?

Simon...

If spraying inside your home, have the doors and windows open as a minimum precaution so you don't inhale too many fumes. I know this is a bit health and safety but they really aren't good for you and in an enclosed space they can really make you dizzy. I wear a mask when spraying to reduce my intake to a minimum. 

• Like 1

Classic Zinc-Chromate etch-primer should go on really thin - just a fine 'mist coat' that barely conceals the underlying metal.

Don't recoat the etch - let the first coat dry [I generally leave it for 48 hours] before going for the top-coat.

I managed to assemble my new pistons onto the conrods in the kitchen whilst my wife and kids were playing a game at the table. They actually commented that it was nice I didn't disappear into my shed "as normal". Little do they know that this has now egged me on to prep the head and manifolds in the kitchen too as it's nice and warm in the kitchen with good lighting. Oh and the dishwasher is great for cleaning up engine parts :lol:

1 hour ago, HampshireHog said:

Fridge , you must have one hell of a kitchen to be able to get your Land Rover in there

Closest I've been was having the welder in the dining room at my old place during the big rebuild - although the current garage was contingent on the kitchen being extended at the same time! Was young and single then so I could get away with it, the patio doors never recovered from the angle grinder sparks though :lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, simonpelly said:

Thanks for replies so far. Have taken over the kitchen - other half so far keeping a sense of humour. Glad not to be in shed in this weather.

Etching coats seem covered by above. Thanks for reply.

How long from etch to first of colour coats? Touch dry 30 minutes or 24 hours?

Simon...

Surely it says on the can when fully dry and ready for re coating? And those times are within a given temp and humidity range. Id say it would be at least 24hrs for full drying before painting over with your colour.

Try googling the brand and type of paint you have, they should have tech info on site

After degreasing just spray one thin layer of etch primer and as soon as it looks dry spray your primer coats - you dont need to sand etch first.

When you have prepared your primer coat and given it long enough for any sinking and shrinkage into filler or poorly prepped edges to show before sanding and drying-  certainly a day or two, spray the colour coat (Base) - you shouldn't really touch this coat unless you have faults, and especially not if its metalic,  dont even run your fingers over it. Flash times between coats varies depending on paint type and temperature,  but once it stops looking wet its fine to add another coat. 

Clear coat can go on the base coat as soon as it's flashed off, certainly dont wait too long or you risk getting dust and spiders trapped between coats. 

Apply a couple of coats of clear so you have enough thickness to sand and polish out imperfections, runs, dry spots and orange peel.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the replies and in particular "Eightpot" for more details on the whole process.

Made a "spray booth" in the kitchen with some spare packing cardboard. Doing some trial runs on a spare piece of aluminium sheet first.

Sourced an A1P3 mask after using a "sanding" mask which turned out to be useless.

The actual panels I'll be spraying are the two front vent flaps which have now been paint stripped and wet sanded. Story for another day.

Wish me luck!

Simon....

0.jpg

Edited by simonpelly