Bearmach, britpart as bad?

youngengineer

I recently rebuilt my series 3, admittedly on a budget.

I've stayed as far as possible from britpart as I could, using bearmach and TRW.

So far almost every bearmach part has failed within 6 weeks.

First the bearmach lift pump after 4 weeks. Now the clutch master cylinder after 6 weeks.

Becoming really fed up with after-market parts quality. Im not expecting OEM quality, but failure after a months light usage is just rediculous.

Are all these aftermarket parts made in the same factory? 

Edited by youngengineer

Well, if you had fitted britpart master cylinder it could have failed while bleeding, like it did with my brake master a few years back....

How much of a refurb have you done? Bearmach are generally considered one of the better marques....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never rated them, to be honest. All their stuff is "meh". 

Britpart, on the other hand, are massively variable. Some stuff is amazing. Some is dire. They box everything in blue, from **** to diamonds.

For seals and working parts I try to stick to genuine or branded mid tier suppliers. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, youngengineer said:

Are all these aftermarket parts made in the same factory? 

No. That's a myth perpetuated by those who claim there's nothing wrong with cheap parts, continue to buy rubbish and drive the entire parts supply chain into the ground. 

Lift pumps seem, for some reason, to be notorious for failing lately. However, my own experience recently has been that lift pumps have failed in installs or conversions that are "less than ideal". Restricted return line, or no return at all, for example. To be honest, I'm no fan of mechanical lift pumps anyway. A good electric pump is a far better solution. I mean, you're attaching a fixed displacement pump with a rubber diaphragm and no pressure regulator to a power source that wildly varies in rpm and demand independently? Good luck with that... 

Been a year or two since I bought a master cylinder, but the Bearmach ones I've got seemed decent and have lasted. What's happened? 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, lo-fi said:

No. That's a myth perpetuated by those who claim there's nothing wrong with cheap parts, continue to buy rubbish and drive the entire parts supply chain into the ground. 

Lift pumps seem, for some reason, to be notorious for failing lately. However, my own experience recently has been that lift pumps have failed in installs or conversions that are "less than ideal". Restricted return line, or no return at all, for example. To be honest, I'm no fan of mechanical lift pumps anyway. A good electric pump is a far better solution. I mean, you're attaching a fixed displacement pump with a rubber diaphragm and no pressure regulator to a power source that wildly varies in rpm and demand independently? Good luck with that... 

Been a year or two since I bought a master cylinder, but the Bearmach ones I've got seemed decent and have lasted. What's happened? 

The only thing I can think of is that during installation I did not use the plastic spacer between the pump mating surface and block as the original did not have it either.

I've now ordered an electric pump which I will wire to acc. Hopefully that cures it.

As for failure, the lift started leaking out the weep hole and the clutch master starting dripping down the pedal. I assume seal as the plumbing side is good.

Edited by youngengineer

21 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Having said all that my 109 had been running on Britpart slave and wheel cylinders for about 15 years! 

( I was young and needed the money )

Gives me hope then as I used britpart slaves also. And I assure you, bleeding then brakes is not something.i want to repeat.

Edited by youngengineer

On 1/27/2020 at 12:08 PM, Bowie69 said:

Well, if you had fitted britpart master cylinder it could have failed while bleeding, like it did with my brake master a few years back....

How much of a refurb have you done? Bearmach are generally considered one of the better marques....

I've changed every master a slave cylinder there is on the truck. I've now ordered a TRW for the clutch master which is what I should have done from the begining.

33 minutes ago, youngengineer said:

Gives me hope then as I used britpart slaves also. And I assure you, bleeding then brakes is not something.i want to repeat.

I do always pack the space between the seals and the dust cover with rubber grease. Horrible red stuff, but it does lube the bore. It might help, don't know.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:52 PM, Red90 said:

Britpart and Bearmach are parts wholesalers.  The parts all come from the same places.  For important parts, buy OEM ones.  Both Bearmach and Britpart sell OEM or most things.

Maybe, but I don’t think so.  I have experienced the same as many on here reported - “G” suffixed parts that were the same dire quality as their regular parts at inflated price, and most certainly not comparable to Gen Parts components.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

Maybe, but I don’t think so.  I have experienced the same as many on here reported - “G” suffixed parts that were the same dire quality as their regular parts at inflated price, and most certainly not comparable to Gen Parts components.

There are many genuine parts today that are complete carp.  Personally, I've not seen an example where a genuine parts was any better or different than an OEM.

I haven’t had to buy any parts in five years now, but some OEM stuff is indeed rubbish.  TRW is the new(ish) brand for Lucas/GKN, and the clutch master cylinder I got from them was pretty poor.  Certainly, genuine brake parts have got far worse, and the 200Tdi engine mounts I bought a decade ago from a franchised dealer were only fit for the bin.  Thank Tata for that - shifting supply to India means they get the same cheap carp as Britpart.

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

I haven’t had to buy any parts in five years now, but some OEM stuff is indeed rubbish.  TRW is the new(ish) brand for Lucas/GKN, and the clutch master cylinder I got from them was pretty poor.  Certainly, genuine brake parts have got far worse, and the 200Tdi engine mounts I bought a decade ago from a franchised dealer were only fit for the bin.  Thank Tata for that - shifting supply to India means they get the same cheap carp as Britpart.

Don't say that. I just ordered a TRW master..

Both britpart and bearmach allmakes have "budget" stuff ...britpart budget and allmakes is truly shocking bearmach but better but still gritty imho.

Bearmach often give choice of branded stuff this is fine .

I even avoid "G" stuff supposedly oem but iften white box which nobody wants to own up to making ..britpart being the worst I avoid them wherever I can

You get what you pay for quality and cheap are not great friends

• Like 1

OEM can still be lower quality than genuine - there was a thread on starter motors where it was shown that a Land Rover branded Bosch starter contained more seals than an aftermarket purchased Bosch starter motor.

I'm sure someone posted similar about a visit to the shock absorber factory where the manager said the stuff they sell to car manufacturers is made to far higher standards than the after market because the manufacturers have to pass crash tests and give a 100k warranty etc.

Likewise GKN make a lot of UJ's that will fit where a genuine Land Rover UJ was but some of them will be of way lower spec because they're not designed for the application even though they fit in the hole. GKN will make you a wheel bearing for your shopping trolley if you ask them.

Saying a part suffixed "G" is made by the OEM or whatever is not the same as one made to the right spec in a genuine box, and when someone's selling you a wheel bearing or brake cylinder for a fiver it's time to be suspicious.

I have to buy wheel bearings for my Volvo axles from the local bearing shop and it's possible to pay £50-£100 for a single decent quality bearing because they're industrial suppliers whose customers demand reliable parts - so when Britpart sell one for £5 you have to know corners have been cut.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1