IVA M1 vs N1

MECCANO

Has anyone had an experience with passing a vehicle as a N1 (light goods vehicle) Instead of the M1 cars category.

My next project is unlikely to meet the M1 category due to the length of the load bed, without much Headaches and witchcraft.

So for ease I was wondering if its easier to simply follow the N1 route, but wondered if it has more complications down the road, tax,  insurance, Lez, Ferry crossings, trips to the moon etc.

As far as I see it, it would just be like owning a van.

Thanks in advance.

Chris  

• Like 1

I IVA ed my ibex as M1 mainly because my brother in law lives in London. The N1 is supposed to be easier to pass because they test less. N1 should give you the old tax system but it may depend on engine. Why to you think you can't do M1 mine is essentially a utility wagon and I had no problems. I can strongly recommend Gillingham they were very fair and helpful. The two things I will say are go expecting to fail and come away with a list and read the manual cover to cover, he made it clear he could see I'd read the manual.

I can pm you my number if you want to chat.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, i really appreciate that.

The london restriction has crossed my mind as i live just outside the M25, but i cant remeber the last time i drove in. The project is more about getting away from the big smoke, and i don't think they would appreciate my Cayonero!

The donor vehicle is 1985 110 SW with an awesome 2.5 n/a diesel 😱 i have yet to coax back to life, then change out for something more civilised post test. I would have loved to have dropped the 200tdi i have in the garage, but i have no reciept for it, and theres still the issue of manufacturers emission proof.

I believe you used the engine directly from your donor defender too?

I could alter my plans to extend the passenger area (extended doube cab) proportional to the rear load bed, but again i would probably change post test.

The M1 manual states :

• At the request of the applicant a vehicle with at least 4 seats and a load area not exceeding 40% of the length of the vehicle

To be on the safe side, this may mean i cant just extend the cab, i would have to make sure the seats sit back as far as possible to ensure the area behind isn't classed as additional load area.

Generally the main cab will be standard defender, which seems to be lacking side repeaters and non floppy seats to comply. The chassis will be a new richards ( arriving shortly)  that is mildly longer. The rear end a more elegant tray back of my own concoction.

The first headache seems to be reciept/ invoice issues. From what i've read i only need proof for major components, but other forums claim having them for every nut and bolt. Fortuantely the majority of parts will be from the donor, new or fabricated. My interpretation of major components would be those defined in the points systems, but im probably wrong.

I recently pruchased a fuel tank from what appear to be a reputable breakers, but have been unable to get a reciept out of them. Which now makes me think its probably dodgy, and now stuffed on paper work from the-off.

Cheers

Chris

My receipts were two donor v5's and an eBay receipt for the body/chassis. I think I threw in some random others but that was about it. Emmisions are taken from a proof of age/make in my case a v5. I have a defender 200 TDI with a v5 here if that helps. I got the impression the tester wasn't that interested in the paperwork side. The dvsa are the ones who are paperwork fussy but if you don't mind a Q plate then it's less of a problem.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 8:42 PM, miketomcat said:

My receipts were two donor v5's and an eBay receipt for the body/chassis. I think I threw in some random others but that was about it. Emmisions are taken from a proof of age/make in my case a v5. I have a defender 200 TDI with a v5 here if that helps. I got the impression the tester wasn't that interested in the paperwork side. The dvsa are the ones who are paperwork fussy but if you don't mind a Q plate then it's less of a problem.

Mike

Thanks for the offer Mike, but the wife has decided she fancies the chalenge of getting data out of landrover. Shes seen some one get data from mazda so recons its worth a try.

I contacted Richards last week, looks like d-day is the end of the month, later than previosly planned  but im not ready for it anyway.  This has kicked the tear down of the 110 into gear.

When I had mine SVA'd trying to get anything out of Land Rover, was like pulling teeth with a grinder ........

They accepted the  emmisions from the official Land Rover Workshop manual in the end as it was a 200Tdi and that was quite limites in production year so they also accepted that as age

Mine was SVA'd as a commercial so any info I can give is prob useless for IVA 😃

27 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Did they ever publish emissions data for the 200Tdi?

When I put my vehicle into my expenses system it wanted an emissions figure, I had to calculate it based upon fuel economy and the carbon content of diesel. Came out as 252g/km.

Thinking back (i'm getting old) I think you might be right, will have a delve in the old file and see what I produced for the  actual test

Right remembered now.....

I proved age of the Engine using Engine code: (be one of 11L, 12L and 13L) and productions years 89-92 IIRC and they were satisfied with that and listed emmisions as N/A

Edited by Les Brock

I don't know what figure they used for emissions on mine but I didn't supply it from memory. I may of used a generic figure in the paperwork but I think I just put the engine year down. Just checked a photo of my IVA certificate it lists engine power but all of the emissions boxes are marked N/A.

Mike