Piston ring compressor what size?

Gazzar

I've seen a variety of sealey piston ring compressors, they cope with the same diameter, but with different depths.

They come in depth from 75mm to 150mm.  

What do I need to fit rings to a 2.5 petrol?

Thanks.

As long as the compressor goes around the piston and tightens the rings in the depth does not really matter they only need to slide onto the piston far enough to tighten square and then you slide the bottom of the piston in until it comes up against the compressor then push or gently tap the piston home I always lubricate the inside of the compressor surface with some new oil bit messy but at least new piston has a coating for initial movement regards Stephen 

Turn up a chunk of metal on that old lathe of yours. It doesn't need to be fancy, just a ring about 1.5" long with a smooth shallow taper on the inside, having the smallest end the same size as the bore. The bigger end needs to be slightly bigger than the rings in uncompressed state.

Those old giant jubilee clips are horrid to use. 

Ah, the lathe. I really need to find time to get the motor off that.......

I might have a play with a cable tie and a drinks can and see if it would compress the rings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 8:52 PM, Peaklander said:

I’ve just used this one. It was quite easy to use. Two pistons went in first time and two needed re-clamping as I let the bottom ring slip.

BFD92149-95BD-4296-A8E5-F7ECD9A619D2.thumb.jpeg.1af92cb876cf5a5ce2d649c6c13061d0.jpeg

Thanks for this, I've splashed out and copied you.