puma axles on a early 90

my 1987 90 is ready for a rebuild, I worked out the cost of doing my axles and figured it might be quicker to just fit some late axles off a 13 plate puma 65000 miles . 

the Breakers yard have assured me they will fit no problem🤣

any advice welcome

IMG_20200129_123816[40635].jpg

Are they from a 90 or 110? I know the Salisbury wasn't used on the TDCi 110's but I don't know if the HD axle that they did use has a longer nose?  If they are from a 90 you shouldn't have any problems.

I use a 2013 TDCi 90 rear axle on my 1986 90 and it fitted with no problems whatsoever (even the brake-lines are the same thread).

For the front I can't see you will have any problems other than you will need the wider radius arms and I don't know if the later callipers have twin lines? I personally purchased a NOS TD5 axle (brand-new / crated) and that bolted straight on (they are still available).

With things like ABS sensors, just leave them in situ and cut the wires.

4 minutes ago, Litch said:

Are they from a 90 or 110? I know the Salisbury wasn't used on the TDCi 110's but I don't know if the HD axle that they did use has a longer nose?

The 110/130 axles use the P38 diff in the rear, which has a SHORTER nose, not longer....  Worse design, not better....

1 hour ago, Litch said:

Are they from a 90 or 110? I know the Salisbury wasn't used on the TDCi 110's but I don't know if the HD axle that they did use has a longer nose?  If they are from a 90 you shouldn't have any problems.

I use a 2013 TDCi 90 rear axle on my 1986 90 and it fitted with no problems whatsoever (even the brake-lines are the same thread).

For the front I can't see you will have any problems other than you will need the wider radius arms and I don't know if the later callipers have twin lines? I personally purchased a NOS TD5 axle (brand-new / crated) and that bolted straight on (they are still available).

With things like ABS sensors, just leave them in situ and cut the wires.

Hi Litch

The front axle has its radius arms still bolted on .....do I use these or my original arms.

No ABS on it , so thats fine

Think the calipers are single line  

Will fit the rear one this weekend

The Panhard rod mounting is different.

You need to use the 2013 Panhard rod and will also need to get the 2013 steering box Panhard rod mounting bracket.

I would still be changing the front drive members at 65000 at the very least, my Puma had noticeable wear at 30000.

Edited by oneandtwo

11 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

The Panhard rod mounting is different.

You need to use the 2013 Panhard rod and will also need to get the 2013 steering box Panhard rod mounting bracket.

I would still be changing the front drive members at 65000 at the very least, my Puma had noticeable wear at 30000.

Yes I will fit them and see what they are like and do what's necessary.

My original rear axle has rusted badly and leaks oil. This was the main reason for swapping them.

I have the puma panhard rod and complete power steering pump and mounting bracket.

Genuine LR parts all day long (springs, bushes and shocks). This setup is something they got just right and when I did the 110 they werent too expensive either. Given the original set was about 25 years old when I changed it, genuine parts last well too!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Genuine LR parts all day long (springs, bushes and shocks). This setup is something they got just right and when I did the 110 they werent too expensive either. Given the original set was about 25 years old when I changed it, genuine parts last well too!

Ok so the axles I have came with original land rover shockers , they appear in decent condition, I may fit these and see what they are like .

Easy job to change at a later date if need be

On 2/4/2020 at 7:13 PM, Nick 1 said:

Ok so the axles I have came with original land rover shockers , they appear in decent condition, I may fit these and see what they are like .

Easy job to change at a later date if need be

It seems the later Defenders had better quality shocks than the earlier, which is suprising since LR decided to cost cut everything on the Tdci's

so this all went to plan, and I now have a nice smooth ride with no clonks and bangs as before😀

like was pointed out I had to fit the 2013 panhard rod and mounting arm. I also used 2013 flexible hoses, which required changing the brake pipe unions to female .

thanks for the replys