Bleeding Count Dracul...

Well hello, brothers and sisters. I hope you are all having a gentle day in wherever part of the world you are. 

I have a problem. Well, not me, but Chula (1991, Land Rover Santana 110) does have a problem.

Her left hand side disk brake caliper stays jammed, locked on, braking. Whilst the right hand side caliper is not showing the same symptoms. But, and here it comes, when ever I bleed (turning loose the bleeding nipple on top of the caliper. Oil comes out, turn it closed again.) the jammed caliper, she releases the brake pads and the wheel is free to turn again. So I thought, '...well, Max. You did it again and fixed it. Good on you. Go grab a beer!' So the little guy on my right shoulders says, 'Are you crazy! It's ten in the morning, you halfwit!. So, I grabbed a beer and sat in the car to drink it. What?!? It's freezing cold outside. But first I had to do a test. I pushed on the brakes and stepped back outside. All confident and still very proud of myself. But guess what? Stuck again. 'What the...?' Solid as a house. Not budging. The other wheel. Free as ever before. So I bleed the caliper again and the brakes loosed up again. Stepped back into the car. Had a look at my 'getting colder' beer and pushed the brakes again. Damned, stuck again. Again bleeding, the whole circus got back to normal. Brake, not normal. Bleed, normal, brake, not normal, bleed, normal... I think you get the picture, right.  

How is this possible...? Please advise.  

• Like 1

As said above probable faulty brake hose. If the caliper was sticking releasing the fluid pressure would make no difference. Try flexing the hose instead of slackening the nipple to see if it releases the other possibillity is muck in the caliper stopping the fluid returning which might clear by bleeding fresh fluid through.

Yes it sounds like a classic example of a brake flexible-pipe that's more-than-10-years-old and has swollen/degenerated so it no longer allows the caliper to de-pressurise.

[I've always treated rubber brake flexies as a 5-year/50,000-mile service-item; braided-PTFE Goodridge types get abother 5 years of service-life before replacement]

So, dear boys and girls. Like I said, I took some photo's to go along with the progress. Since you all were singing the same song like a quire of angels, I decided  to go along with the angels  and start with a flush. Well, I didn't get far. Opened the tank cap, the reservoir capuchon, and grabbed a spanner called #11. Connected the hose that flows into the bottle and undid the bleeding-nipple. Pushed the brakes and nothing happened. Let's not exaggerate. I counted three drops of braking fluid coming out of the zi nipple. Mm... I undid the brake caliper and used the brakes again. Mmm... OK, the maybe there is something stuck inside the caliper. Undid the High Pressure black flexible hose that runs into zi caliper. Pushed the brakes. Mmmm... well, well. It seems we have a HP hose that is somehow blocked, bodged, stuffed... I took an steel stiff wire and started poking in the hole of the hose. Stuffed like my grandmother's turkey. So, dear angels... I can here your brains rattling from where I am at. And no it is not. I flushed after noticing this stuffed turkey, half a bottle of brake fluid through the lot. No, dirt, no bubbles, no what ever. So my best guess is that the inside of the hose has somehow disintegrated into dust particles. And simply got stuffed. I will order a new hose and then let my angels know what´s what. For now, thank you very much for all the advise.

Before I forget! The strong muscular gloved hand in the photo with the HP tube is mine. So don´t get all over excited. The rest of my is not that interesting at all. 

tattaa...

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

It is indeed , I've not seen them before either . Somebody mentioned the other day that disc's are hard to find for this type now .

The disc looks a smaller diameter than the normal 110 too ?

Are you going to do all three flexi pipes Max ? might as well if one is de-graded . Glad you found a clear problem.

cheers

Steve b

On 2/1/2020 at 8:02 PM, steve b said:

It is indeed , I've not seen them before either . Somebody mentioned the other day that disc's are hard to find for this type now .

The disc looks a smaller diameter than the normal 110 too ?

Are you going to do all three flexi pipes Max ? might as well if one is de-graded . Glad you found a clear problem.

cheers

Steve b

Yeah, I mean, yes. I am planning on doing them all. I ordered some because they are not that easy to find. So first I need to see them. Then I will order a bunch of them.