Auxilary fuse/relay holder

L19MUD

Has anyone got any suggestions for a supplier of something decent? I have seen what VWP have to offer but I would rather I didn't have to sell a kidney to fund a bit of plastic!

I have 7 fused circuits, with 5 relays to accomodate and would like room for some expansion so 10 fused circuits and 6 relays would probably be about right. What have others used?

2 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

Could you not use an second hand Range Rover P38 fuse box? Or am I being too green  mean?

Happy to use anything that will do the job! Thinking about it I have a Volvo 850 in the yard I'm stripping for spares...I wonder what the fuse box is like in that

9 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

I do know the P38 has a series of plugs that go in the base and can be wired through those. 

Yes looked at the P38 one and the design leads itself to being used for other things. The Volvo one in the yard has specific plugs which won't work as well.

Will have a trawl of ebay/the local scrappy for one

58 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Yes looked at the P38 one and the design leads itself to being used for other things. The Volvo one in the yard has specific plugs which won't work as well.

Will have a trawl of ebay/the local scrappy for one

I may have one in my shed lol

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 9:56 AM, Escape said:

The P38 fuse box is very handy in that it takes standard spade connectors. But the internal wiring is not always straightforward, so it will take some time to figure out how it can be put to other use.

Filip

I now have one kindly supplied by Simon. Do you have any wiring diagrams that will help me get started?

• Thanks 1

You need to know what car it came from, the partnr will proably tell you. There are some differences between petrol and diesel and some changes made over the years (1999 being a pivotal year). I haven't seen any wiring diagrams specifically for the fusebox. Rave does list all the fuses, that will get you started. For the relays, your best bet will be to look up the standard wiring and see what you can do from there...

Truth be told, it's not something I'd like to tackle. But 5 or 6 relays should be doable, things like heated windscreen (2 of ), EAS compressor, starter motor and front fogs are straightforward.

Good luck and happy to try and help should you get stuck!

Filip

Yes fair point, i will find the part number later and stick it into Microcat then print off the relevant Rave diagrams.

My thoughts too, it can't be that bad to work out with the continuity function on the multimeter. I will share progress and results on here in case anyone else can use what I find. My initial plan is to test continuity from the live post that takes power direct from the battery to see what side of the fuses power up and then fit fuses one at a time to see the power to the relays.

Seems a better use of time sat in the house playing with the multimeter than watching dross on TV! Watch this space for me getting stuck and confused!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 1:46 AM, tiny1664 said:

I really like this arrangement, and I wish that my wiring will look so good, but what is the module on the right hand end of the fuse box, the item with the yellow clip?   I've been trying to work out the wiring.  There's going to be supply and ground for each relay coil, and then there's going to be switched power in and out of each relay.  I assume that switched +12V comes to a bus-bar at bottom left which feeds the fuses, but from there, which wires are which?  I hope some electroadult can help me😕.

Mike

9 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

Many thanks for the details and the link.  They're expensive, but allow a really tidy wiring arrangement.  I think you've just sold a couple of these, a 12-way and probably a 6-way.

There's cheaper places to buy them and there's cheaper copies/versions out there too depending what you're doing. Anything with "sea" or "marine" on the box adds ~100% markup :lol: although BlueSea are decent quality.

^^^ Agreed.  Searching Amazon.ca I found this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07F3CX7B3/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item.  Considerably cheaper than Blue Sea, and I just hope it's not the local equivalent of a Britpart quality component.  I'll report if there are any deficiencies.

Mike