S3 indicator stalk "waggle"

jessejazza

Whilst the indicator works ok the stalk seems to have a waggle of about an inch.... I read elsewhere that other folk have found the same even with new. Is there an alternative (e.g. from kit car supplies) that folk have found better.... maybe one would have to mount a push button for the horn but I have seen an indicator only stalk that may be worth considering. Other solution would be to fit a 3-way switch for indicators like some kit cars have.

Also I'd be grateful if someone could tell me

a] what the light is for between the two main dials

b] the two inner switches on the right (the outer ones being lights (top) and wipers (lower down). One of those would be for the heater matrix fan but which? 

c] bottom left - presumably to attach a +ve and -ve probe to check voltage or amps.

The reason I ask is I am contemplating making up a dash blank and putting in my choice of switches, lights and dials. The speedo cable screw is sheared on the box which means a removal to extract it - have a GPS digital speedo at present which works well. The fuel gauge is u/s and have another fitted. So I thought I might as well make up a different dash and put all dials back in one place. thanks

IMG_20200202_144546.jpg

Edited by jessejazza
typo

That much switch waggle is a fault and any new part doing the same should be returned for refund.  There should be no play at all on the indicator stalk.

The switches to the right of the speedo are fan at the bottom (hence the propeller symbol) and dash lights, which illuminate the gauges when switched on with the side lights or head lights also switched on.  It always seemed a pointless function to me, so I bypassed it by fitting the output wire to the lights directly to the terminal on the main light switch that bridges to the dash light switch.

The position between the gauges is used for the trip meter reset winder for those vehicles fitted with a trip meter in the speedo.  You have a blanking plug there, but there is nothing to stop you using that position for a switch or warning light - I moved the battery charge warning light there when if installed a new gauge cluster that had three rather than two gauges.

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

It always seemed a pointless function to me, so I bypassed it by fitting the output wire to the lights directly to the terminal on the main light switch that bridges to the dash light switch.

Very useful when driving at night on unlit roads.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:49 AM, Bowie69 said:

Very useful when driving at night on unlit roads.

How - i don't follow?

The only reason I can think of wanting to have the dash lights off is to save eye strain on long distance trips. I drive a truck and wear night driving glasses and they certainly help (10+ hours of night driving is tiring) - admittedly oncoming headlights are the primary cause. In a truck one can change the dash light brightness and I suppose that is what LR were thinking of.

But then again - I wouldn't be driving a Series LR for hours!

40 minutes ago, jessejazza said:

How - i don't follow?

The only reason I can think of wanting to have the dash lights off is to save eye strain on long distance trips. I drive a truck and wear night driving glasses and they certainly help (10+ hours of night driving is tiring) - admittedly oncoming headlights are the primary cause. In a truck one can change the dash light brightness and I suppose that is what LR were thinking of.

But then again - I wouldn't be driving a Series LR for hours!

The dash lights (on other cars obviously, not a land rover) can interfere with your night vision on the road, especially on wet unlit roads. 

I used to turn them down quite often at night in a few older cars I had at night, made a big difference especially when some of them still had tungsten bulbs :)

20 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

The dash lights (on other cars obviously, not a land rover) can interfere with your night vision on the road, especially on wet unlit roads. 

I used to turn them down quite often at night in a few older cars I had at night, made a big difference especially when some of them still had tungsten bulbs :)

Thanks for explaining I understand now.