Waterproof seat covers - who makes decent ones?

FridgeFreezer

Per the title really - I'm after some seat covers for the 109 but pictures on the internet don't really help. I want properly waterproof ones that aren't made out of the same awful thin nylon as a tent bag, actually fit the shape of a Defender seat, and don't cost as much as an entire seat.

So far "Turtle Covers" on eBay look half decent if you believe they really do make them by hand in the UK... but what have people got and what's good or what's worth avoiding?

Tough covers are ok, I've got a worn out pair in the ibex that may of come from your mum. But they are not as good as the un-named ones I had in 45. Ironically I'm looking for some new ones too. The ones I had in 45 were two different materials the seat part was quite corse but hard wearing, the rear and sides were the aforementioned tent bag nylon but that worked well.

Mike

I haven't experience of them but I think the fitted Britpart ones are meant to be quite good on the defender. I had a pair on my discovery which seemed good. 

Problem with to heavy duty material is you tend to get a bot more sweaty on them .

Tough covers are another option as mentioned but I haven't actually driven anything with them fitted. But the company I work for has involvement with them so I can ask which covers fit defender seats best if you want

Jon 

31 minutes ago, Jon W said:

I haven't experience of them but I think the fitted Britpart ones are meant to be quite good on the defender. I had a pair on my discovery which seemed good. 

Problem with to heavy duty material is you tend to get a bot more sweaty on them .

Tough covers are another option as mentioned but I haven't actually driven anything with them fitted. But the company I work for has involvement with them so I can ask which covers fit defender seats best if you want

Jon 

I can second this - as much as i hate to recommend them.

I have them on the RRC seats in my 110 and I looked everywhere to avoid buying Britpart, but these appeared the best material and fit so I took a chance. They have been excellent (that hurt to write). If the Defender seat versions are as good as the RRC ones then they will fit well and are hard wearing. As Jon says though, they can be a bit of a pain in hotter weather, but I dont find them too bad even then.

They seem to in this picture: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-PAIR-OF-WATERPROOF-FRONT-SEAT-COVERS-PART-DA2818BLACK/264532957705?epid=1442876618&hash=item3d97649a09:g:AtcAAOSwdVFau4MI

May be worth checking with the seller?

Looks like some sites say DA2818 is for 2007 model seats onwards, but I am not sure there is much of a shape difference between newer and older defender seats is there?

Terrafirma make some , I received an email with them on they looked quite good , but I have no idea wether they’re any good .

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123932573255

here’s a link says they’re waterproof, was thinking about getting them myself.

Edited by ianmayco68

What's the reasoning behind the seat covers? Probably not what you can be bothered with but I actually prefer leather instead of waterproof covers, easy to wipe down from mud too. Ten minutes and a damp cloth and they're nice and clean again.

DSC_0015.thumb.jpg.9f3a35c6a148d570cc54c358b15f6048.jpg

Did you know originally the leather was intended for the plebeian driver and the cloth seats were intended for the rich owner in the back?

I'm afraid I can only show you one to avoid. It's a pitty because they are made from a good quality material at a reasonable price and feel nice. Unfortunately they don't fit standard defender 90/110 seats well, they don't gather up at the bottom sufficiently. 

Screenshot_20200204_073846_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Well the need is because my seats are quite decent and the 109 is an off-road toy liable to get absolutely plastered. I need two front sets as my rear seats are fronts :D and I can't be doing with swapping to other seats, don't really want leather, and seat covers mean you can pull them off and have a clean dry seat to sit on which is sometimes useful.

Jez used to remove the seat covers before wading and stow them in a drybag, then get dry & re-fit the covers so you have dry seat to sit on.

Valid enough points - was just playing devil's advocate. Spare seats might be a cheaper option :hysterical:.

I've got a full set of ones out of a P38 but might see if the fronts fit into the 6x6 when that arrives (all in place - just need to find the time to actually go up and collect it now).

The Britpart ones are indeed very good 😮. Very durable, fit well, and not had any sweaty bum problems.

Only a small downside is that the base and back is all one cover, which can make lifting a seat base out a bit of a nuisance cos the base cover falls down over the battery or cubby box, depending which side you're faffing about with.

My 110 has Exmoor trim covers in the front that I bought 2nd hand. These are equally well fitting and the base and back are separate covers. The back also covers the head rest 👍