Brake calliper painting?

Mutley

I am going to get NEW rear brake callipers for the 300Tdi Defender 90 and want to paint them so they don't just turn into chunks of rust over time!

Question is do I split the callipers so I can paint the inside after masking off the pistons, this way making sure that it all gets a coat of paint even where the x2 parts fit/bolt together so rust does not have an edge to work in from?

They will be degreased first then the idea is split mask of pistons, bleed valve and pipe fixing and bolt holes then give x2 coats of paint all over......Is this a good plan?

Personally I wouldn't bother splitting them, if you use an aerosol to paint them then the coverage will be very good and get into the corners.

You will always have an 'edge' where the cylinder walls meet the outside bit of the casting, and the bleed nipple, and where the caliper mounts, so I wouldn't get too precious about it.

If you use something like ZG-90 then that may help you resist the rust a little longer.

I assume they are zinctec'd already? 

@Bowie69 I was going to use E-Tech Calliper paint?

13 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

zinctec'd already?

And what is zinctec'd ready???...…..Hopefully the callipers will be AP Lockheed and was going to degrease then just use E-Tech spray paint (Green) or do they need some kind of primer first?

On 2/8/2020 at 7:56 PM, western said:

I've been refurbishing my front caliper with new seals & stainless pistons, I wire brush them, cleaned in brake cleaner & refitted, I was going to spray them gold same as I used on my engine, but it's just to cold for a decent finish. 

Nice and warm in the house 😁

Ah you lucky, lucky B******;s...….. What i'd give for the pleasant aroma of diesel and burnt EP90 oil with an aromatic hint of ATF!?!...…...

But NO!!!...… I have the expensive Au de toilet HORSE PEE with the  strong after tones of intense HORSE POO!!! Thanks to the wife and her four legged friend!?!

Many a time I've had to sneak out to the shed just to snort a couple of lines of WD40

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

I cleaned one set up with wire brushes and painted them with smooth Hammerite, the second set I had media blasted and the guy sprayed them with red oxide, which I then painted with Hammerilte.  Neither set have had any rust, flaking or discolouration.  I rebuilt the callipers with Zeus stainless pistons, and they are lasting extraordinarily well - not a mark on the first set after well over a decade.

• Like 1