Disco 2 wheel bearings

Simon_CSK

I got home today and went to change a front tyre on my Discovery 2. When I refitted it I discovered that the wheel bearing was about to collapse. Fortunately I was able to take a wheel bearing from another Disco 2 I have to keep the car on the road. 

When I took it off I compared it to a rear bearing that I have taken off and have on the shelf and it looks almost identical to the front one. Are the front and rear bearings the same?

2 differences.

1, abs sensor is about a foot longer on the rear, but these can be removed, just dont forget the little o-ring and sensor shims if fitted.

2, rear wheel bearings have a grove for the o-ring to seal to the axle.

so rear wheel bearings fit both front and rear.

fronts wont fit rear unless they have a groove and youll have to trasfer old o-ring to the new bearing.

3 hours ago, Landy-Novice said:

2 differences.

1, abs sensor is about a foot longer on the rear, but these can be removed, just dont forget the little o-ring and sensor shims if fitted.

2, rear wheel bearings have a grove for the o-ring to seal to the axle.

so rear wheel bearings fit both front and rear.

fronts wont fit rear unless they have a groove and youll have to trasfer old o-ring to the new bearing.

Thats great thanks and means I can fit the rear one I have to the front of the Disco that I robbed to keep mine roadworthy.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 8:07 PM, Landy-Novice said:

1, abs sensor is about a foot longer on the rear...

Is this true? I've read on a few other forums that the D2 front hubs had the longer sensor cable. I looked in the RAVE manual and it doesn't specify the lengths.

Maybe the length is up to the different manufacturers of the hub?

8 hours ago, JUKE179r said:

Is this true? I've read on a few other forums that the D2 front hubs had the longer sensor cable. I looked in the RAVE manual and it doesn't specify the lengths.

Maybe the length is up to the different manufacturers of the hub?

apologies. got it wrong way round. indeed fronts are longer as they go up and sit on top of the inner wings where as the rears only go upto the brake flexi's. its common to fit front sensors to the rear if running big lift kits and /or lots of suspention flex.

Gotcha. Cheers!

I received my pair of front hubs made by Taiwan company Trusted Reliable Quality (TRQ) part number BHA54105 / 1ASHF00449 which cross references to Land Rover’s part number TAY100060. These front hubs have the indent channel for the rear hub's o-ring.

7af264e4_6c1a_4d1d_94e8_e0b333fe5558_53b

Edited by JUKE179r