Jump to content

Removing plastic coating


L19MUD
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have been working on cleaning up various items ready for galvanising. Things that have been powder coated come off quite well with a combination of a flap wheel and a wire cup brush.

 

Plastic coating on my front and rear light guards however is a nightmare. Friction melts it but does not remove it, the gas torch melts it but does not allow me to remove it before it cools back on. Am I best just chucking them in a bonfire and fishing them out afterwards?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Appreciating it's not the most environmental solution, a bonfire in an oil drum has always worked for me. Similarly a blowtorch and a scraper might do the job. You could also try clutch fluid applied with a paint brush and left for a while, it's performance is dependent on the quality of the powder coating though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Warping them is what I was wrried about. They are the standard slat type front grilles so I could replace those if it failed (but would be stuck with them not being galvanised) the rear ones are cage type from an unknown source and I want to keep them so I don't have to drill extra mounting holes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

You could possibly put them in the freezer so the plastic goes very brittle and shatters or breaks off with a robust scraper not tried it myself I just know most plastic doesn't  like extreme cold regards Stephen 

This could be worth a try on the rear light guards.I will grab one of the small ones tonight and try it. Suppose it will make a change getting in trouble putting things in the freezer as opposed to parts to clean in the dishwasher or pistons in the oven to expand and get the gudgeon pins in!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, L19MUD said:

Warping them is what I was wrried about. They are the standard slat type front grilles so I could replace those if it failed (but would be stuck with them not being galvanised) the rear ones are cage type from an unknown source and I want to keep them so I don't have to drill extra mounting holes

I put some slat type ones in my old burning drum with no warping issues, it was a pretty hot fire too. They looked like these ones:

https://shop.challenger4x4.com/front-lamp-guards-for-land-rover-series-and-land-rover-defender-3112-p.asp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Boris113 said:

I put some slat type ones in my old burning drum with no warping issues, it was a pretty hot fire too. They looked like these ones:

https://shop.challenger4x4.com/front-lamp-guards-for-land-rover-series-and-land-rover-defender-3112-p.asp

Mine are a bit sturdier than those so should be fine. This type https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Light-Guard-Set-BRITPART-Land-Rover-Defender-VIN-2A622424-STC53161-/371410722343

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since you are having parts galvanised please learn from my experience.  Make a note of every threaded hole, and the thread type/size before sending to be dipped.  I didn't, and have spent a lot of time re-tapping blocked threads, some of which are SAE/Imperial and others are metric.  The only way to tell, definitively, is to measure the bolt that came out.  Even the LR Parts catalogue is frequently wrong.  I have SAE and metric tap and die sets up to 1/2" and 12mm, but have had to buy a number of each for larger sizes.  

Sorry I can't help with your cleaning problem, but best of luck with your galvanising.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I did buy some really nasty paint stripper off eBay that claims to strip *some* powder-coat... didn't touch the bull bars on the ambulance but holy hell was it evil stuff to handle/smell!

I can look out the name if you are getting desperate :lol:

I sorted the rear lights with a combination of a scraper, the blow torch and the shot blast cabinet. The front ones are getting the bonfire treatment and I will revert back!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

Since you are having parts galvanised please learn from my experience.  Make a note of every threaded hole, and the thread type/size before sending to be dipped.  I didn't, and have spent a lot of time re-tapping blocked threads, some of which are SAE/Imperial and others are metric.  The only way to tell, definitively, is to measure the bolt that came out.  Even the LR Parts catalogue is frequently wrong.  I have SAE and metric tap and die sets up to 1/2" and 12mm, but have had to buy a number of each for larger sizes.  

Sorry I can't help with your cleaning problem, but best of luck with your galvanising.

Mike

Thanks - good point. Luckily it is only the tree sliders which have a couple of threaded holes, the rest just take nuts and bolts throguh drilled holes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy