Early doors on a late Defender

I do like the older windows with the slide section rather than the electric ones i have currently.

I can't seem to find later style doors that incorporate the sliding windows of the Series. Happy to have a lift up handle as well.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy them off the shelf?

If you don't want remote interior latches, yes.  If you want the remote interior latches, then they are rocking horse poo.

The bottom parts are all available everywhere and cheap.  The Defender tops are not available new.  You can get Series style ones though.  Fortunately galvanized ones just came out as well.

https://www.sp-4x4.com/DEFENDER_2_PIECE_DOOR_CONVERSION_s/140.htm

• Thanks 1

They are a good price. I paid more than that for a pair of original 90 two piece, lift up handle doors.

For the pedantic, the early 90/110 doors had sloping sliding glass, and were made of aluminium. Which is essentially the same as the "military" tops.

Have to say that I have always preferred the sliding windows. 

I couldn't find em anywhere!

happy without the remote tbh, damn thing plays up anyway and it's one more thing to go wrong when you don't want it to.

However, does anyone know of a single piece door with sliding windows?  Or could they be retro fitted from an older door?

I've always preferred slidy window 2 piece doors.  More leg & elbow room, and lift up handles are way more solid and reliable than push-button ones. 

You do get more road noise and they can be a bit colder.  It's worth holding out for a good pair of angled ex military/early Defender ones which open wider than the series style. 

And they rattle, leak and are drafty but I love ours. The remote that is referred to is not a button. Series doors have the internal latch on the lock/catch itself but early 110 two piece doors have a marina internal latch mounted roughly where the window winder is on later doors.

Mike

15 hours ago, Red90 said:

If you don't want remote interior latches, yes.  If you want the remote interior latches, then they are rocking horse poo.

The bottom parts are all available everywhere and cheap.  The Defender tops are not available new.  You can get Series style ones though.  Fortunately galvanized ones just came out as well.

https://www.sp-4x4.com/DEFENDER_2_PIECE_DOOR_CONVERSION_s/140.htm

Plenty of good options on that website but how do the cappings work? Are they required or is more of an aesthetics thing?

Just thinking some more, I reckon you could remove the wins up window elements from a standard door, add a bottom channel and some window runners, drill some drain holes and fit sliding glass.

I am saying this based on my familiarity with the structure of the early lift handle, wind up window style of door. Not sure how much push button doors differ in this respect.

It's definitely do able but why? I like sliding window, they're great in the rain and in winter when you just want a crack. However in the summer when you want more air or if you need to stick your head out..... Ours move out by 10mm at the top anything above 60 due to wind pressure, at that point they leak and are drafty. No you can't stop it series/early 110 were never intended to go that fast.

Mike

Just comparing solid v sliding doors in the yard here, yes you could modify a solid door and insert slidy windows without too much hassle, but then you're still left with the space robbing door card which you need for the door handle which is mounted on the window regulator plate.  

Yep the slidy doors leak and let wind in as they flex - but maybe it's actually quite easy to stiffen them rather than rely on those two studs?   It's never even crossed my mind in all the years I've had them and enjoyed the draught, but two appropriately shaped and mounted plates/brackets would fix that amply. 

The main idea for the slide windows is simplicity as well freeing up the door interiors to fit them with decent sound & insulation which isn’t really possible with windup windows given their thickness.

I’m happy to entertain the idea of sliding windows on an all in one door with lift up handles, I do like a challenge or another project 

On 2/10/2020 at 8:55 PM, smallfry said:

They are a good price. I paid more than that for a pair of original 90 two piece, lift up handle doors.

For the pedantic, the early 90/110 doors had sloping sliding glass, and were made of aluminium. Which is essentially the same as the "military" tops.

Have to say that I have always preferred the sliding windows. 

Those sloping ones are becoming a tad elusive and expensive when you do find some. 

I found some on Ebay at the £330 for just the top of the door

Does anyone have a measurement for the opening on the sloping style early/military ones compared to the series?

1 hour ago, Badger110 said:

Does anyone have a measurement for the opening on the sloping style early/military ones compared to the series?

Not offhand but BOTH pieces of glass will slide on the military/early sloping glass type, but IIRC only the front piece slides on the series type

• Thanks 1