Early doors on a late Defender

23 hours ago, Badger110 said:

I'd kinda agree but on a modern defender, the cappings are going to look abit out of place

How.  The tub has cappings that are the same so you get a clean line fromt he door to the back of the vehicle.  The newer doors without cappings look strange. The earlier one piece door had trim that looked like the cappings.

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

How.  The tub has cappings that are the same so you get a clean line fromt he door to the back of the vehicle.  The newer doors without cappings look strange. The earlier one piece door had trim that looked like the cappings.

When you look at single piece doors, the cappings are obviously not there.

In my mind, adding cappings to a 2 piece would look out of place, however  as you have just explained, the capping goes along the tub anyway beyond the doors.

So you learn something new everyday

On 2/11/2020 at 3:03 AM, Red90 said:

There is no such thing as a single piece door with sliding windows.

Not entirely true, very rare but they did make them for commercial 2a vehicles for a short period. I'll see if I can find the article. No caps.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:58 PM, Gazzar said:

Not entirely true, very rare but they did make them for commercial 2a vehicles for a short period. I'll see if I can find the article. No caps.

Found a reference on line, I've also seen an article in a mag.

Screenshot_2020-02-14-20-28-11-380_com.brave.browser.jpg

• Like 1

Well i've picked up a pair of scrapper doors for a £10, so i'll have something to play with for starters.

I'm ignoring the pair of miltary front doors on ebay at the moment 😎

talking of military doors, can someone clear up some confusion here.

Does the glass open further on the sloping windows compared to a series straight window?

Do both sections of glass open on the military and on the series or just the military?

These are our early 110 doors un-modified.

IMG_20200215_083708.thumb.jpg.15eaf339dcf20575d9cec92f9b1c9370.jpg

IMG_20200215_083722.thumb.jpg.b12c8376504c9c528a3ffca61ee3b398.jpg

IMG_20200215_083737.thumb.jpg.f23b763fa527774d207e05573214adcf.jpg

IMG_20200215_083747.thumb.jpg.4bd764148f58e5d6b2a5987761163aed.jpg

I hope that clears up anything re- windows and catch/latching. It is possible to reverse the windows but is likely to damage the seal on the rear window. Both windows sit in a runner that sits on a track, top and sides are felt tracks. The window lock picks up in the underside of the runner.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat
  • Thanks 1

There is a pair of military doors on faceache for £450. As far as I can see the catch and window lock are different. It doesn't have the remote release latch and I assume not the plate that mounts on. Plus the door card is very different. The door top and windows look the same. The lower half and door stay (different to one piece doors) look the same but I guess it doesn't have the mountings for the remote release panel.

Mike

5 hours ago, miketomcat said:

There is a pair of military doors on faceache for £450. As far as I can see the catch and window lock are different. It doesn't have the remote release latch and I assume not the plate that mounts on. Plus the door card is very different. The door top and windows look the same. The lower half and door stay (different to one piece doors) look the same but I guess it doesn't have the mountings for the remote release panel.

Mike

The door above is the two piece with the remote latch.  Civilian trucks were also available with the non-remote latch.  There were three types of doors available from 83 to 85.....

The military Defenders use Series 3 door bottoms, which are different to the Defender split door bottoms.  They use a different catch style. They usually had no door cards, but you can fit the Series 3 ones, now available new from Exmoor.

The door tops are the same for both civilian and military Defenders.

Thank you Mike, perfect for viewing up close.

The window does open enough to shove your elbow out which is the main point i was thinking.

I've collected a few spare one piece doors to have a play with and my first thought is how to incorporate the lock on the sliding windows.

Rather than pay silly money for the door tops, perhaps if i can source the glass, or even have some made, it would be a case of gathering the various channels and runners and see where it gets me

8 hours ago, Red90 said:

The military Defenders use Series 3 door bottoms, which are different to the Defender split door bottoms.

Military defender door bottoms have a hole in the door skin for the lock barrel on anti-burst locks, though you can just drill the hole or use the old style handles. 

Been a while since I pulled one apart, but seem to remember series door bottoms and military/defender ones have some difference in the stud holes or capping fitting?  Nothing major though. 

Edited by Eightpot

If you are going to fit series doors you will need a set of antiburst locks and your door striker will need modified or changed for series type, I modified mine but it was on an old lift up handle system so may be different from any modern striker. You will need cappings and the seal between capping and door top, also, series doors may not be drilled for the lock on an antiburst lock, I had to drill through the door skin for the lock barrel to poke through.

Military type doors will have all this already.

I've purchased a pair of Wolf front doors and looking to buy a set of alu tops for the 2nd row doors.

Finding 2nd row door bottoms isn't easy, but i will probably buy them new from SP4x4 unless a pair turn up from a later series/110.

i did find this which was very interesting and backed up what @Gazzar said. 

https://www.sp-4x4.com/DEFENDER_SERIES_DOOR_CONVERSION_p/defconv2.htm

None in stock though :(

I picked mine up today, very pleased. One top is brand new, the other in near perfect shape for its age. No stressing on the corners or signs of anything untoward.

i had to replace the ns door bottom with a new piece but given both doors cost less than a single top piece’s current prices new, it’s a small addition.

BF43D8D5-5FE8-4B4D-951F-BC0F6550267C.jpeg.41518d4f7c724326912d6bafba46e4e8.jpegBE55F47D-004D-455A-A782-FE04362FE6C7.jpeg.25b10eba0e5331d73d07ead94b8ab42f.jpeg
E305150C-5215-419D-9819-87A18A154408.jpeg.8c775313ca1a1d68c9dc5b22cf3281d6.jpeg
524FF002-287E-48C6-8937-2BFB941D91F0.jpeg.2b9fa2428e2056f738a20dfccfafcada.jpeg

50C8E0F6-AD90-45D5-BCEE-2E9186B4FB05.jpeg

02F16613-D15B-43BF-BDFF-864C41E28D98.jpeg

4D318546-9046-4B9B-AB0F-6673F8CD660D.jpeg