Early doors on a late Defender

On 2/26/2020 at 5:00 PM, Badger110 said:

I picked mine up today, very pleased. One top is brand new, the other in near perfect shape for its age. No stressing on the corners or signs of anything untoward.

i had to replace the ns door bottom with a new piece but given both doors cost less than a single top piece’s current prices new, it’s a small addition.

BF43D8D5-5FE8-4B4D-951F-BC0F6550267C.jpeg.41518d4f7c724326912d6bafba46e4e8.jpegBE55F47D-004D-455A-A782-FE04362FE6C7.jpeg.25b10eba0e5331d73d07ead94b8ab42f.jpeg
E305150C-5215-419D-9819-87A18A154408.jpeg.8c775313ca1a1d68c9dc5b22cf3281d6.jpeg
524FF002-287E-48C6-8937-2BFB941D91F0.jpeg.2b9fa2428e2056f738a20dfccfafcada.jpeg

50C8E0F6-AD90-45D5-BCEE-2E9186B4FB05.jpeg

02F16613-D15B-43BF-BDFF-864C41E28D98.jpeg

4D318546-9046-4B9B-AB0F-6673F8CD660D.jpeg

Exactly the same tops as mine, they are a great bit of kit, check the felt is still working to stop them rattling. Can I ask where you got the bottoms from?

The O/S is perfect felt wise as it's new, but the N/S is older and thus rattles like buggery.  I've got some new stuff being delivered by someone to replace the felt with a rubber channel which is lined with a softer material and is apparently the bee's knees, i'll let you know!

The N/S door bottom was bought from Ebay;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-3-Defender-Front-Door-Bonded-395534-Left-Hand-IN-STOCK/372557337487?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

16 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

The O/S is perfect felt wise as it's new, but the N/S is older and thus rattles like buggery.  I've got some new stuff being delivered by someone to replace the felt with a rubber channel which is lined with a softer material and is apparently the bee's knees, i'll let you know!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-3-Defender-Front-Door-Bonded-395534-Left-Hand-IN-STOCK/372557337487?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Whats the quality like? Are the two door bottoms identical? I take it the o/s is genuine?

Yup O/s and N/S were genuine but N/S is massively damaged, looks like someone tried to rip the door off so the hinge section of the Aluminium has split and the frame behind has rusted through.   If you had time and patience you probably could repair the frame and re skin it, but i've enough on my plate without worrying about that for now.

On the new door, the welds look ok and overall can't see any issues with it..it's a steel frame with a alu skin bonded to it, what can go wrong?! 😂

haven't fitted anything yet so that'll be the real test ;)

I ordered it on Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday which was pretty good for an Ebay purchase

I did notice on the N/S top that there is a stress crack on the bottom corner.  It hasn't manifested itself into anything too bad, but the hairline crack is there.

I'm considering riveting a small plate across it as tig welding is beyond me for the time being, at least it'll give it some benefit, if not alot

17 hours ago, Badger110 said:

I did notice on the N/S top that there is a stress crack on the bottom corner.  It hasn't manifested itself into anything too bad, but the hairline crack is there.

I'm considering riveting a small plate across it as tig welding is beyond me for the time being, at least it'll give it some benefit, if not alot

Isnt that part of it just a skin?

• 2 weeks later...

Does the glass sliders at the top of your doors slot into the door frame? It looks like it does in the picture

On those i listed, the window frame area is flat with no visible signs of the glass slider sitting in anything

Then again i can't see how the window winding mechanism fix's to anything on the lower door frame...

In the time between my first question and this one, i found a pair of one piece, sliding window variety for half the price, so quite happy.

They are naked doors, so all the glazing, locks and such will need to be bought, but i've saved myself a few quid over buying a pair from paddocks or SP4x4.

I will need to fashion a fake capping on these though as it's going to look abit odd otherwise ( i have 2 piece front doors )

6 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

I will need to fashion a fake capping on these though as it's going to look abit odd otherwise ( i have 2 piece front doors )

you don't need to fabricate these yourself .... on the 1984 "facelift" model , they used 1 piece doors , with a capping to look like 2 piece doors , 

think the number is : muc3930-muc1931

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hurbie said:

you don't need to fabricate these yourself .... on the 1984 "facelift" model , they used 1 piece doors , with a capping to look like 2 piece doors , 

think the number is : muc3930-muc1931

Excellent find hurbie, thank you :D

The lower window runner is the one that comes out to get the glass in. Top, front and back are all felt runners. The bottom is a track and runner, you remove the track (it's a pig to get out) then the runners just lift off with the glass.

Yes the td5 locks are longer.

Mike

18 hours ago, Badger110 said:

My next question is, if i purchase the ignition and door lock set that fits TD5 and 2002 later models, are those barrels likely to fit in the AB Locks?

from what i can see, the later version locks are a tad longer and maybe wider?

Probably not, the keyed alike door and ignition barrels are a good bit bigger and a new push button door handle with a larger barrel hole to accommodate the larger barrel was made. 

Mo

You can get the same keys for everything, if you want, but you need to change to a non-locking ignition switch.  This is what you get in an MOD Defender.  I have one key that does everything on mine, all doors, ignition and fuel cap and I have split doors.

26 minutes ago, Red90 said:

you need to change to a non-locking ignition switch.  

If you mean an ignition switch that locks the steering be careful as from a couple of years ago for MOT's ignition switches have to lock the steering I had a 92 Disco 1 that failed because ignition did not lock steering wheel Regards Stephen

On 2/27/2020 at 10:28 PM, Badger110 said:

What's the name of the stuff you are getting to replace the felt?

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

What's the name of the stuff you are getting to replace the felt?

Well i was coming to that :D

It's identical to the garrison door stuff but half the price, i have a friend who had to buy it on a large roll and has a fair amount left over.

I was going to do a fitting session so you can see and then if you want some, we can sort out some kits for people 👍