MOT Exemption omnishambles

FridgeFreezer

The MOT exemption rules are ambiguous to say the least and open to interpretation , if you can actually get a face to face conversation off the record with a DVSA officer they will tend to agree with you.

We will only know for definite if and when the rules are tested in court.

Peter

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Romahomepete said:

We will only know for definite if and when the rules are tested in court.

Ain't that the truth :(

Mind you, if you're in court I doubt a valid MOT certificate is going to make a lot of difference if you've got bodges / badly done mods.

• Like 1

Having been in court as a witness in a motoring case and embarrassed the opposing barrister with basic geometry and some simple maths, I doubt you'd have too much to worry about should the worst happen. It's well engineered and interpretably within the ill-defined guidelines. 

On 2/13/2020 at 5:27 PM, Cynic-al said:

They don't care and won't take responsibility. They can only cope if the computer had a box your question fits in. You could try the iva route but I don't think it would fit in and you might be really unlucky and they make you scrap it as it doesn't fit their box either.

I think the axles are pushing your luck but otherwise your ok.

I think your only real problems are if it's not roadworthy and you get pulled or you have an accident. If you have a bad accident they will pull it and you to pieces regardless of what paperwork you have as something you have done was clearly wrong for the accident to happen. 

I remind you of this story, this car had an MOT https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/dec/08/gresham-land-rover-river

That said if it were mine I would consider having either an MOT or an unofficial inspection done for my own piece of mind, and a piece of paper to back it up never hurts as it shows you've taken steps to ensure it is fit for use. 

Given the number of recent floods, I think a safety argument can be made for portal axles!

As for Gresh’s prosecution, it wasn’t the mods per se that was the problem, but the lack of care in doing them and other maintenance.  Different tyre sizes, different brake callipers from side to side, rusted out suspension brackets and uneven trailing arms were items I recall listed, in addition to a neighbour saying she accepted a lift from him once and the rear half shaft kept sliding out.  Even an unmodified vehicle is lethal with that sort of standard.

What actually happens when it becomes MOT exempt, do you have to sign something to state that you are then responsible for the roadworthy condition of the vehicle?

Does anyone's insurance company actually ask if it's MOT exempt?

There are allot of Unimogs registered as agricultural that don't need an MOT but have a much higher road speed than a tractor. I wonder how they go on in the event of an accident!

I guess no one cares until it all goes wrong and they are looking for someone to blame then the vehicle that doesn't need an MOT would come under scrutiny with a fine tooth comb, even if it was the other drivers fault.

I agree with Fridge that a test that was maybe not as detailed but checked the main points at a reduced cost would be great.......one can dream :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Defender said:

What actually happens when it becomes MOT exempt, do you have to sign something to state that you are then responsible for the roadworthy condition of the vehicle?

You are already responsible for ensuring the vehicle you are driving are is in a roadworthy condition. The MOT is only a check at a point in time, though if you had an accident as a result of a fault covered by the MOT shortly after the test it would likely be a mitigating factor (not to mention bad news for the test centre if the fault should have been apparent at the time of testing...).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Defender said:

As Geoff says, you're always responsible for your car whatever. But for MOT exemption you just sign a piece of paper saying why it's exempt and show it to the person at the post office and that's it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2020 at 5:50 PM, Snagger said:

Given the number of recent floods, I think a safety argument can be made for portal axles!

As for Gresh’s prosecution, it wasn’t the mods per se that was the problem, but the lack of care in doing them and other maintenance.  Different tyre sizes, different brake callipers from side to side, rusted out suspension brackets and uneven trailing arms were items I recall listed, in addition to a neighbour saying she accepted a lift from him once and the rear half shaft kept sliding out.  Even an unmodified vehicle is lethal with that sort of standard.

Just to defend Gresh. The 'different calipers' were different makes, not types. The tyres were all one quoted size, but different makes. The suspension brackets were rusty and there was rust on the inside of the chassis. His fault was driving too fast for a Land Rover 110. He paid the price...

An old friend, who works in the Five0 vehicle inspectorate side, once said, 'we could take a brand new 110 off the line and find fault, in fact we could take any vehicle off the line and find fault - even if it was just the absence of mud flaps.

Fridge could be pulled for anyone of a 101 things that have nothing to do with MoT's...  Hell it even be because he looks so dodgy

• Like 1

Twas in the mighty Nissan Bluebird 1.6LX :lol: 3 of us in the car driving slowly as mate in the back was giving directions - midnight after a long shift so it's the "wrong" time too... copper thought he'd struck gold, hung a proper U-turn to pull us over and was all pleased with himself until we pointed out we were all wearing identical works overalls, he was welcome to check our timesheets from 15 minutes ago, and when asked where he lived my mate basically pointed to "that house there" :lol:

Derby road in Southampton, you'd have to be pretty desperate I think :ph34r::blink:

I've been pulled in the 109 now in almost every country I've driven it through - mostly they just want a look at the vehicle and to check you're not an idiot, although the Russian ones usually just want 200roubles (~£4) "speeding fine".

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've only been pulled for kerb-crawling once... dropping my mate home who (I discovered) lived in the red-light district! :lol:

Reminds me of the way the council in Swindon put a series of speed-bumps down Manchester Road, the local 'hotspot' for picking-up hookers.

"No, Officer, honestly, I'm not kerb-crawling, I just don't want to get my exhaust dragged-off over these speedbumps".

• Like 1

A friend of mine used to work for a company which offered training courses on behalf of the job centre, the courses were things like which bills you have to pay and which you can ignore, the way to make sure a bailiff can come into your home and take nothing, reading the paper... I mean looking for a job. The sort of courses that went on under Tony Blair to make the unemployed statistics look good. Anyway, the training places weren't in the most desirable postcodes and one night he was parked looking at his map trying to work out where the hotel was when a girl in a short skirt and fishnets vaulted into the passenger seat of his soft top car. An argument started followed by lots of other girls of various shapes and sizes displaying various amounts of skin crowding around the car also shouting words but failing to say much, a bit like an episode of Jerry Springer but without the beeping or bouncers. In the end he had to pay her to leave for fear of injury from high heel. 

1 hour ago, Cynic-al said:

A friend of mine used to work for a company which offered training courses on behalf of the job centre, the courses were things like which bills you have to pay and which you can ignore, the way to make sure a bailiff can come into your home and take nothing, reading the paper... I mean looking for a job. The sort of courses that went on under Tony Blair to make the unemployed statistics look good. Anyway, the training places weren't in the most desirable postcodes and one night he was parked looking at his map trying to work out where the hotel was when a girl in a short skirt and fishnets vaulted into the passenger seat of his soft top car. An argument started followed by lots of other girls of various shapes and sizes displaying various amounts of skin crowding around the car also shouting words but failing to say much, a bit like an episode of Jerry Springer but without the beeping or bouncers. In the end he had to pay her to leave for fear of injury from high heel. 

And his missus believed that ?????

• Haha 1