Raw materials boost

Stellaghost

So we've  been getting a new plate conveyor installed at work to assist with this the mezzanine floor was covered in about 8 sheets of 8x4 1.5 mm thick steel sheet spoke to project manager as to what they were doing with sheet when they finished just gonna scrap it , can I have  it the answer was yes so the picture below is two of the sheets with the rest being flat and on a pallet ready to pick up just need to find room to store it happy days regards Stephen 

20200213_081532.jpg

20200213_081552.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I came back from Glasgow with 3 sheets of 9' x 4' of 1.2mm alloy on the roof of the 110, on top of a carefully contructed pallet firmly fastened to the roof bars, and then the sheets screwed down with 2"x1" across them. I got to Dumbarton and sped up to 40 and heard a bang and looked in the mirror to see the sheets flapping behind me. They'd not come right off but were...er...badly bent. Trying to get the buggers back over and fastened down again was a bit of a handful. I managed. Then had to go back to the alloy suppliers and red-faced ask for more.

They were actually very kind - said they'd been impressed with my pallet and shared some horror stories of what they've had ot deal with - like the guy with the Nissan micra who collected an 8' x 4' of 2mm checker and put it on his roof on a towel, opened the windows and put two bungees over it and fastened the ends inside. He was intent on going from the middle of Glasgow to Perth! They refused to let him. Made him pay for delivery instead.

Wise not to shift them until the gale subsides!

• 8 months later...

Just got a fantastic raw materials boost 14 sheets of 5' x 11' 2mm galvanised sheet steel they were used as weather protection on some units that slot together, project supervisor asked me if I wanted them, Hell yes !! Happy days regards  Stephen 

20201031_110812.jpg

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 7:18 PM, Jocklandjohn said:

I came back from Glasgow with 3 sheets of 9' x 4' of 1.2mm alloy on the roof of the 110, on top of a carefully contructed pallet firmly fastened to the roof bars, and then the sheets screwed down with 2"x1" across them. I got to Dumbarton and sped up to 40 and heard a bang and looked in the mirror to see the sheets flapping behind me. They'd not come right off but were...er...badly bent. Trying to get the buggers back over and fastened down again was a bit of a handful. I managed. Then had to go back to the alloy suppliers and red-faced ask for more.

They were actually very kind - said they'd been impressed with my pallet and shared some horror stories of what they've had ot deal with - like the guy with the Nissan micra who collected an 8' x 4' of 2mm checker and put it on his roof on a towel, opened the windows and put two bungees over it and fastened the ends inside. He was intent on going from the middle of Glasgow to Perth! They refused to let him. Made him pay for delivery instead.

Wise not to shift them until the gale subsides!

Amateur.... I came back from YRM with two 110 load area floors and two wheel arch boxes on the roof of a 1981 Mini 1000, the noise was unbelievable, but really worth it for the looks I got.  Plod, on the other hand, was, well, not amused...

• Like 1

I bought a complete MG Metro engine and gearbox home in a mini. Took the passenger seat out and got it in through the door, wrapped the seat belt round it and away I went. 

All was going well until a sudden left turn tipped the engine on top of me - where it pinned my left arm to my side. 

• Haha 2

On 8/22/2021 at 4:24 PM, Ed Poore said:

There's a chap over on migwelding who's been (although stopped I think) selling off a load of lift counterbalance plates. 20mm thick.

20mm bit wimpish...........

How about these

20210825_081749.thumb.jpg.f1861938c79e2e36b28ef2947079ad51.jpg

50mm........just need to get them out of the back of my car lol regards Stephen 

Edited by Stellaghost
Addition

I think you are more than justifying the use-case for a JCB or telehandler or forklift Stephen...

My mate in Surrey wouldn't be without his forklift despite everytime he uses it swearing at it and wishing he hadn't sold the diesel one to replace with a propane one. I wouldn't be without my JCB, the back-actor I haven't used much but the front loader and pallet forks are invaluable.

• Like 1

My wife will not allow me to visit the local recycling centre on my own, sadly I tend to return with more junk stuff than I was supposed to dispose of.  Last year , when I was a bit poorly, I missed (?) 20 8x4 sheets of checker plate that a local events company had dumped..... all the guy who is uncharge of the tip wanted for them was a couple of bags of decent cat food for the strays that live there...

• 7 months later...

That aluminium would make a very nice battery box for my 110 under the passenger seat.

Why are you so far away.....

(now going to sit in dark closet with coffee to recover....)

2 hours ago, Badger110 said:

for someone of your calibre, it’d be a walk in the park!

Your a kindred spirit where calibre is concerned,  the interior of your 110 case in point, outstanding, beyond my abilities 

Let's be right it's not metal for starters therefore way out of my comfort zone.....lol regards Stephen 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Two larger pieces of potential creation....

20240323_162519.thumb.jpg.c88971597b436b0ecaadaae20f1b9374.jpg

20240323_162539.thumb.jpg.bfa2133c28f4ed3a048ce9b1b58502d2.jpg

Both 70mm thick

Doesn't look like much I hear you say......

However if I told you there was enough material to make another 7 of these

20240121_143141.thumb.jpg.9501ad158343f477faea3f330df74275.jpg

It makes it far more interesting..lol

Regards Stephen 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1