Diesel fuel pump ESR111

P38 Paul

Time has come to replace the fuel pump again on the P38 , this will be the forth time I have done this job with the last one only lasting around 15000 miles , can anyone advise me on a brand that may last a bit longer than this aftermarket one that is currently fitted to the car , cheers .

• 9 months later...

That sounds bonkers.  Bearmach run a 3 year warranty with their own brand so maybe that’s a way forward?

have you checked the fuel lines to make sure the return line isn’t perished and letting air back into the pump?  Not sure if that would make it run dry on occasion?  

2 hours ago, Waffle said:

That sounds bonkers.  Bearmach run a 3 year warranty with their own brand so maybe that’s a way forward?

have you checked the fuel lines to make sure the return line isn’t perished and letting air back into the pump?  Not sure if that would make it run dry on occasion?  

Hi , that was a Bearmach pump that I had fitted but it had run out of warranty as it took me around three & a half years to cover the 15000 miles before the pump started to fail again .

• 10 months later...

One year on & I have to change this pump as it cant get up the hills any more , I am going on Escapes advise & go through the floor under the rear seat to get to it this time & wondered if anybody has any more advise , pictures , and/or measurements as to the location of the pump & where to start cutting the floor out , pictures would be best . Regards Paul .

No pictures, but I have done this a couple of times now:

- cut the insulation and carpet inside the right rear seat mounts at the sides and front and peel it away to expose the floor
- grind (carefully) through both high areas closest to the seat mounts, preferably with a small disc so you can't slide through too deep
- drill out the spot welds at the front and fold back the floor section
- I use screws at the front with kit and tape to cover the cuts when reassembling, double sided tape or carpet adhesive can be used for the trim

3 hours ago, Escape said:

- cut the insulation and carpet inside the right rear seat mounts at the sides and front and peel it away to expose the floor
- grind (carefully) through both high areas closest to the seat mounts, preferably with a small disc so you can't slide through too deep
- I use screws at the front with kit and tape to cover the cuts when reassembling, double sided tape or carpet adhesive can be used for the trim

There is a video on Youtube a swede doing it on a Diesel. He gives the dimensions. 

I thought about doing it on my 4.6 petrol then I remembered I barbequed a P38 last year draini9ng the fuel tank and opted to take the tank out instead

On 11/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, Escape said:

On 11/1/2021 at 5:10 PM, Simon_CSK said:

There is a video on Youtube a swede doing it on a Diesel. He gives the dimensions. 

I thought about doing it on my 4.6 petrol then I remembered I barbequed a P38 last year draini9ng the fuel tank and opted to take the tank out instead

Thanks for the replies lads , just what I was after , I shall have a go at it this weekend weather permitting .