mazda slt 3.5 in a 90?

just been offered a good running one with the adapter plate.whats the engines spec.are they any good?

Yeah not bad

BUT i looked into these years ago for a rangie i had that needed a new engine. Found that they don't have much better than a V8 mpg. But more importantly i could not get parts for the engine. And i mean things like starter motor , water pump and stuff like that. But that was about 14 years ago

I ended up puting a 200 TDi in as it was better on fuel , parts and insurance. As the insurance company will hit you for a differanct manufacture engine. where as the 200 tdi was ok in a 1971 rangie as it was a land rover engine

130hp, massive torque - it makes a monster tow rig, insurance not a problem (I havent had a land rover engine for years), its a long engine and its heavy, you will be cutting and fabbing to fit it in but nothing to bad.

what box are you hooking it up to?

Had one in my Range Rover years ago (1992 'ish it was fitted).

Transferred it from the RR to a 127" in late '99 / 2000.

In turbo intercooled form it's supposed to develop 260lb/ft of torque at 2000 rpm, 125bhp at 3450 rpm (the same power as my old carbie 3.5 V8). In the RR it was running around 28mpg around town 30/32 on a run depending on speed. Fitted the higher ratio transfer box gears from the RR 3spd auto - 70mph cruising at 2,300 rpm, approx 63mph at 2000rpm.

Wasn't quite as economical when in the 127" :D but still a hell of a lot better than the V8 (that was doing 9 - 12 mpg :blink: ).

I really miss that engine (sold the 127 in 2005)!! Engine was available in NA and turbo forms as well as Ti. Parts are still available through MD Engineering (who I believe were the originators of the conversion kit). Make sure you're using a good (preferably new or recently rebuilt) gearbox - the torque will tear a worn one apart very quickly, even driven reasonably gently.

Insurance costs were unchanged for me, as the specific bhp output was unchanged from the original V8 (they didn't ask about the 20% hike in torque :lol: ).

I see there's an A-plate 12 seater at Churchill with one fitted, and a B-plate 90 at County & Defender Centre (both rather expensive, particularly the latter).

And before anyone asks, no I don't have a workshop manual for the engine any longer...

Cheers,

just been offered a good running one with the adapter plate.whats the engines spec.are they any good?

I am currently doing this conversion, got an expired mazda 35 SLTi engined rangie with short stick LT-77 and am putting it in my ex turbo-diesel 90. The Mazda mounts to the standard V8 mounts in the rangie so I have acquired a long stick LT-77 for a V8 (longer input shaft and bellhousing). The Mazda will then mount on standard 90 V8 engine mounts in their usual position and the LT-77 will sit in it's normal position. I could have just whacked the short stick box in but would then have had the gearstick popping out the seat box. I have not yet done this but have spoke to Motor & Diesel and they confirmed that this is the best way to go.

As for the engine, it's a beast. I drove the rangie for a few months before it failed it's MOT and it went like stink. I had a 3.9 disco at the time and there was very little difference. The engine is quite low revving, governed at 3600rpm but it is so torquey you wouldn't believe. M&D still offer all spares for this engine but I guess they won't be cheap.

I have a pdf data sheet for this engine and some technical info. If you drop me your e-mail address i'll send you them.

Martin

It's got a conversion plate for a zf auto i've been told. what gearbox would be best IYO ? i'll pm my details over,thanks. Was going to see if it'll go nicely into my td truck cab

Marcus, just sent yoy a PM, albeit before reading youir last post which states you have a ZF conversion kit.

martin

Ok the engines mine,ran it up on the floor in the workshop.

No bigger/wider than a 200 really.turbo on the left pas on the right very compact.

The kit will fit either a zf or a lt box. just need to ask if /what the positionimgs gonna be as i'd like to keep it all in its place.

260 ft/lbs torque eh! 200 tdi PAH!

Martin, thanks for the blurb,can't i postion it on the td mounts on the chassis? anyone got pics of bare chassis for mounts as i know where it was sat in the RR.

Ok the engines mine,ran it up on the floor in the workshop.

No bigger/wider than a 200 really.turbo on the left pas on the right very compact.

The kit will fit either a zf or a lt box. just need to ask if /what the positionimgs gonna be as i'd like to keep it all in its place.

260 ft/lbs torque eh! 200 tdi PAH!

Martin, thanks for the blurb,can't i postion it on the td mounts on the chassis? anyone got pics of bare chassis for mounts as i know where it was sat in the RR.

I think the problem is that it needs to mate to a V8 gearbox due to the different bellhousing and input shaft. The V8 gearbox has a longer bellhousing, hence it pushes the engine forward to the V8 mounting position, also similar to 300tdi position too I believe. The rear of the engine mount lines up with the rear of the turret mount whereas it is further back in a 4 cyl (except possibly 300tdi). Anything is possible I guess but if you mount it to the TD mounts you'll have to sit the gearbox further back or mod the standard short bellousing and input shaft LT-77 to mate to the Mazda block.

I decided to go my route so that it is aligned just as it was in the rangie, I can then use the SST big bore exhaust and know it will clear everything and it will also give me a bit of extra room around the footwells, steering etc as it may be tight with the turbo and downpipe. I also have all the hoses, rad and intercooler so will try and modify as little as possible.

Oh, and be careful, it weighs 295kg, it's a proper engine. Mine sounds like a Scania when the turbo is whistling!

Just realised I can attach a file so have a look at attached, quite good reading.

Martin

Watson___Turner.pdf

Ok Martin thanks.Gonna try it with the zf i think.need to remove it from the RR chassis and have a play.

though it was a bit heavy!

The exhaust/turbo outlet has been modded on mine to look down so it'll clear all bulkhead and prop etc.

like to keep it back as far as pos if it's that heavy and mod the hi/lo lever instead on the viscous diff.

I'll get some pics soon.

• 10 months later...

Hello everybody,

I Have a 101 with a Mazda engine in it, but nobody can tell me which engine it is, especially not my local Mazda dealer :D . Does anyone here have any photos of this 3.5 litre TD engine? Or tell me where I can find the serial number on it? I had been told it was a 3.0l engine, but I have alos been told that the 3.0 does not exist with a turbo (mine does have one)...

Any infos greatly appreciated!

regards

Oliver

Hello everybody,

I Have a 101 with a Mazda engine in it, but nobody can tell me which engine it is, especially not my local Mazda dealer :D . Does anyone here have any photos of this 3.5 litre TD engine? Or tell me where I can find the serial number on it? I had been told it was a 3.0l engine, but I have alos been told that the 3.0 does not exist with a turbo (mine does have one)...

Any infos greatly appreciated!

regards

Oliver

Just posted on 101 forum that you may have a Mazda HA which is as the same as a Perkins 4.182. http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/index.php?a...ry&cat_id=2

I used to have a Perkins 4.182 (Mazda HA) turbo wastegated in a RRC with a 3 speed auto. It pulled like a train. Now doing sterling service in a mate's 4 speed auto RRC. The turbo and turbo waste gate versions were created by MD Engineering as the engine was supplied as naturally aspirated.

The attached spec sheet gives details of power, torque performance and economy for both the 3.0L and 3.5L Mazda engines.

Watson_Turner_Mazda.pdf

post-249-1195037469_thumb.jpg post-249-1195037486_thumb.jpg post-249-1195037500_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics of my SLTi, also from Watson & Turner that came with the paperwork posted by Dave.

In the Rangie.......

77332530_img.jpg

Half in the Rangie, and yes, it's heavy!.....

77332531_img.jpg

On the deck.......

77332532_img.jpg

In the 90, with TD5 rad and intercooler......

77332533_img.jpg

Another one in the 90........

77332534_img.jpg

Martin

• 13 years later...
On 1/5/2007 at 6:55 PM, Martin90 said:

I am currently doing this conversion, got an expired mazda 35 SLTi engined rangie with short stick LT-77 and am putting it in my ex turbo-diesel 90. The Mazda mounts to the standard V8 mounts in the rangie so I have acquired a long stick LT-77 for a V8 (longer input shaft and bellhousing). The Mazda will then mount on standard 90 V8 engine mounts in their usual position and the LT-77 will sit in it's normal position. I could have just whacked the short stick box in but would then have had the gearstick popping out the seat box. I have not yet done this but have spoke to Motor & Diesel and they confirmed that this is the best way to go.

As for the engine, it's a beast. I drove the rangie for a few months before it failed it's MOT and it went like stink. I had a 3.9 disco at the time and there was very little difference. The engine is quite low revving, governed at 3600rpm but it is so torquey you wouldn't believe. M&D still offer all spares for this engine but I guess they won't be cheap.

I have a pdf data sheet for this engine and some technical info. If you drop me your e-mail address i'll send you them.

Martin

Hi Martin

I realise this is an old post but i run two Mazda rangerovers. Ive had one twenty years and the others six.will never sell them.Would really like the pdf spec sheet if you still havd it

Regards

Steve uk