Buying a land rover that has had chassis numbers welded on from an old chassis

Ah the men behaving badly approach - 

”Isn’t that illegal?”

”yes, but so are a lot of things”

Surely where cars and pedestrians (both of which can make mistakes ) mix closely having the cars travel at largely non fatal speeds isn’t that bad an idea ?

Granted the requirement for simplicity means you and in front of school parked cars both sides 30 mph and quite wide and  good visibility 30 mph in the same law but overall it’s the right idea I would say.

And same for the chassis rule it’s the right idea but sometimes for the simplicity of enforcement means what might seem okay is not legal.

6 hours ago, Mutley said:

And they too will pay a penalty when caught as will the owner of a vehicle with an illegal chassis!

IGNORANCE is NO defense in the eyes of the law!

The OP original asked for advice on the matter, the overall advice is DON'T touch it!!! What he does with that advice is his and everybody else's choice! If he or anybody else chooses to ignore it then don't come back with a woe is me story if things go south!?!

Plus it is a matter of conscience, you drive the said vehicle with no issues, you sell it and it is involved in a fatal accident! And YOU knowingly sold a motor that IS illegal and should NOT be on the road, maybe you sold it to a friend!?! I accept that the third party could still be fatally injured in a legal vehicle but at least the relatives have some come back for their 

Lesson dont put on second hand chassis, either make a new one or buy one. There are plenty of people out there waiting till you make s mistake  , like putting on another car chassis , who will love to wave their finger at you and inform on you. Life eh dont tell anyone anything like that ever again because there are plenty of people who love to shout ",I am telling on you" back to school eh. How do you think the police find out about things like this INFORMANTS/Grasses

Edited by andy _1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, andy _1 said:

How do you think the police find out about things like this INFORMANTS/Grasses

As in the case I pointed out the seller was promoting his rebuild as a good thing, in other cases it's when insurance companies start looking into reasons not to pay out or trying to pass the blame elsewhere. Would you be happy having paid thousands of pounds on a Defender onlt to find if involved in an accident the insurance company said it wasn't the vehicle they had insured, or in another scenario the Americans decide to crush it whilst trying to import it as has happened.