Problem with the fuel indicator

Josu

Hi,

I am from Basque Country (Spain), I am sorry, my English is very bad and I have a problem with the fuel sender, the fuel gauge and the fuel light.

I try to find information in the forum, but I cannot solve the problem, the fuel light does not come on and the fuel gauge is always full when I contact.

I have an LR Defender 200TDI. I guess the fuel sender is the AMR1495, because it has 2 black wires and is made of plastic.

To find the problem I want to connect, direct the fuel sender to the fuel gauge and the fuel light, but I don't know how. In the fuel gauge, the green wire is positive, the ground (black) on the screw and the green / black wire goes to the sender, but the sender has 2 black wires and I don't know which to connect to.

The fuel light on the back panel is the white / slate cable, but I cannot remove it from the strip, how can I connect the fuel emitter to this light? And which of the 2 black wires goes to the fuel light?

Thank you.

The low fuel light is activated by a hidden electronic module.  It uses the fuel sender signal. Don't worry about that light for now.

Green is power to the gauge.  Green/Blue should be the wire that goes to the sender from the gauge.  If it always reads full, you probably have this signal wire shorting out to ground somewhere. At the sender, one wire goes to ground and the other connects to the Green/Blue wire from the gauge.  It should not matter which.

On 2/27/2020 at 3:58 PM, Red90 said:

The low fuel light is activated by a hidden electronic module.  It uses the fuel sender signal. Don't worry about that light for now.

Green is power to the gauge.  Green/Blue should be the wire that goes to the sender from the gauge.  If it always reads full, you probably have this signal wire shorting out to ground somewhere. At the sender, one wire goes to ground and the other connects to the Green/Blue wire from the gauge.  It should not matter which.

Thank you,

I have done several tests and I have not fixed the problem.

I have directly connected the fuel emitter to the indicator with new cables, and it remains the same.

I have tried removing the fuel emitter and replacing it with a resistance simulator, by connecting it directly with new cables and with the installation of old cables I have managed to get the fuel needle up or down depending on the resistance it was doing. That is why I bought a new fuel emitter, but when installing it, it continues to mark full fuel when I contact it.

Could it be that what is faulty is the resistance of the fuel gauge? I'm going to ask for one to see if the problem is there.

Edited by Josu
format

Could you remove the fuel sender at the tank? Then you can test it.

My 300TDi 110 diesel tank sender has resistance of 325 Ohm when empty and 9 when full. So a short circuit will indicate full as Red90 says. 

On 3/6/2020 at 8:22 AM, Peaklander said:

Could you remove the fuel sender at the tank? Then you can test it.

My 300TDi 110 diesel tank sender has resistance of 325 Ohm when empty and 9 when full. So a short circuit will indicate full as Red90 says. 

Hello,

I already soved the problem. What was worng was the fuel gauge.

Now it marks well, although I still dont know if the low fuel light works, I will wait to empty the tank.

Thanks.