A couple or three questions....

Bigj66

I spoke to Dave and his recommendation was to stick with the Disco 1.2 LT230 and the 3.54 diffs as that’s what the 50th Anniversary 90 has.

If it turns out to be a bit sluggish on acceleration then there’s always the option of their 1.301 gear kit or even swap to a Defender 1.4 LT230 (which I threw in the skip a few weeks ago) 🙈

I think I have most of the main components sourced now so looking forward to making a start on it when everything settles down.

If the auto box doesn’t fit then I have the conversion kit for the series box so either way I can proceed.

I can answer quite a few of these Qs:

1) I have a Roverdrive (not Roamerdrive) from 2003. I paid about £700 for it. Very good, getting a tad noisy now but fair do's... I use it. Still far better than any Fairey effort.

2) I run a Heystee PAS off my 2.5 17H PAS pump. Again fitted in 2003ish.

3) ACR's manifold is good. Moves power down by 2-300 rpm. Sadly mine's rotted-out, but again, it's 18 odd years old. I know a bloke about to make these in S/S. Seems to be serious about making at least a small batch. It won't be cheap, nonetheless I'm in the queue. When the time comes...

1 hour ago, Landrover17H said:

I can answer quite a few of these Qs:

1) I have a Roverdrive (not Roamerdrive) from 2003. I paid about £700 for it. Very good, getting a tad noisy now but fair do's... I use it. Still far better than any Fairey effort.

2) I run a Heystee PAS off my 2.5 17H PAS pump. Again fitted in 2003ish.

3) ACR's manifold is good. Moves power down by 2-300 rpm. Sadly mine's rotted-out, but again, it's 18 odd years old. I know a bloke about to make these in S/S. Seems to be serious about making at least a small batch. It won't be cheap, nonetheless I'm in the queue. When the time comes...

You’ll notice that my threads have a habit of wandering away from the initial post 🤣 and in this case the thought was to uprate the 2.25 however this has now moved on to the installation of a ZF auto behind a V8 and try to shoehorn it into the SWB.

The V8 will have the power I’m after and the PAS pump so no issues there and a P38 steering box will be fitted as part of the project. The diffs will be changed to 3.54s whichever way I go with the gearbox.

21 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

You’ll notice that my threads have a habit of wandering away from the initial post 🤣 and in this case the thought was to uprate the 2.25 however this has now moved on to the installation of a ZF auto behind a V8 and try to shoehorn it into the SWB.

The V8 will have the power I’m after and the PAS pump so no issues there and a P38 steering box will be fitted as part of the project. The diffs will be changed to 3.54s whichever way I go with the gearbox.

I’m pretty sure there is no way to do that without a Stage1/Defender front end and moving a cross member or two - the ZF is very long compared to a long stick LT77 or stumpy R380.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:18 PM, Bigj66 said:

I might have a chat with Ashcrofts about the ratios. It might be easier to uprate the LT230 with the 2WD mod and the 1.1 gear ratio and keep my 4.7 diffs rather than change to 3.54 diffs.

3.54 gears are quite a lot stronger than 4.71.  I think the half shafts are still going to be the weak link, unless you get updated shafts, but I think you’d be better off with the 3.54 diffs and lower transfer box for the diff resilience.  The 4.71s and LT230 would make your low range extremely low, too, probably far lower than ideal.

53 minutes ago, Snagger said:

3.54 gears are quite a lot stronger than 4.71.  I think the half shafts are still going to be the weak link, unless you get updated shafts, but I think you’d be better off with the 3.54 diffs and lower transfer box for the diff resilience.  The 4.71s and LT230 would make your low range extremely low, too, probably far lower than ideal.

Agreed and I’ve sourced a pair of 3.54 diffs now. The only thing I’m waiting on is to find a decent engine or donor vehicle.

25 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Gears are stronger.  Halfshafts and differentials are not.

I think all the 10spline shafts are comparable, so a 3.54 diff will be stronger than a 4.71, but shafts remain weak unless you get specials.  Easy for the rear, but not for the front on Series axles.

You can go CV and up rated shafts on the front. Expensive, but possible.

The big expense is the stub axles from a series 1v8, but I think someone is gearing up to remake these.

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

So, you’ll be doing the part time 4wd conversion to the LT230?

Yes. IF the autobox can be made to fit otherwise I’m going Old School V8 to series box conversion kit with 3.54 diffs.

And I’ve just got myself a decent 4.0 Thor engine today too 👍

• Like 1